Menu
AMeek
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Constant Lag spikes

Hi, 

So since the start of March I've been having constant lag spikes. This affects streaming videos, gaming and even internet browsing. It's happening whether connected via Wifi, and when I connected the router in modem mode and tried wiring in instead. I've tried resetting the router, checked the connections, ran the online router test. It also happens whether it is peak time or not, the lag spikes are every few minutes and are often bad enough that it disconnects me from whatever online game I'm playing at the time, whether on console or PC. It isn't isolated to a specific game.

The internet speed is fine but the constant lag spikes ruin any kind of online gaming and that's primarily why I switched to VM. Looking at the forums it seems that a lot of people are having this issue with VM at the moment. I have a 3.0 Hub, not sure what other information is relevant.

Is there a fix for this issue or should I just look at swapping to another provider? I'm not going to stay with VM if this is going to continue.

Quick edit: I'm in the North Ayrshire area, which I've seen quite a few posts from reporting the issue. My In-Laws also have the exact same problem and they are also big gamers so they're thinking of swapping too. Are VM looking into the issue?

0 Kudos
Mcsuiy
Joining in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant Lag spikes

Hi buddy,

I'm in North Ayrshire as well, Been having latency issues playing the likes of World of Warcraft and using Ventrillo. Speedtests show 220mb, ping of 9ms etc but the minute I login to that game the ping goes nuts.

I have contacted VM today, told me latency wasn't their concern in games, I asked if there was work getting done in the area they said no (however, there are 2 VM vans at the green box Kilwinning road!).

Don't know what the issue is but it better get resolved as Sky offering me 4 months free plus half price for 8 months beyond that!

0 Kudos
ThePrecursor
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm in East Ayrshire and get the exact same issue.

Will go to play Overwatch or Fifa or whatever and every few minutes just get a massive lag spike/freeze that stops the game for 3-10 seconds. Its a pain cause honestly theres just no point in playing when its like that. 

Something interesting I found though is that the freezes seem to happen for everyone in the area at the same time. I've got two friends on Virgin Media who I play online with and whenever the three of us are on we all freeze at the same time. I just got Virgin on friday so we'll probably end up cancelling if its not fixed.

Problem definitely seems to be the lines. Contacted them and they want to send an engineer the day our 2 week grace period is up which is a bit weird, and all they seem to want to do is replace the equipment. Mentioned the fact it happens to me and my friends at the same time even though we live on opposite ends of the town but they didn't seem too interested, and said there were no faults in my area. 

Very disappointing, if its not sorted by wednesday we're just gonna cancel. 

0 Kudos
mbozaritchie
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Guys,

I'm in Ayrshire too (Irvine) and have been reporting this to VM for the last 2 weeks.

I have a thread open on the very same issues. 

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Dreadful-Packet-Loss-Ongoing-issue-that-is-not-go...

Don't let VM support palm you off with "latency isn't their concern in games".  Its down to their flawed network that you are encountering high latency through serious packet loss.

Have a look at www.thinkbroadband.com and the tools section there and set up a BQM test that will constantly monitor your connection.  Any red on the graph is a bad sign, and given your location, I suspect that you will see very similar results to my graph below:

My Broadband Ping - Packet Loss Extravaganza
0 Kudos
LochyMacleod
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yeah please add to the huge thread that mbizaritchie linked. Hopefully keep it going.
0 Kudos
vmhell
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

think12aug.JPG

We've had constant problems with Virgin since being with them (about 3 years I think). Unfortunately, they're the only fibre supplier in the area. For the last 6 months we were on a reduced rate, and kept out of contract, because our connection had been so unstable. That 6 month period came to an end and Virgin whacked our rate up by £10, so I had to negotiate a new contract. Our old speed of 70mbps was apparently outdated so they boosted us up to 100mbps, and applied a loyalty discount for the next 18 months. It's safe to say that the discount isn't enough.

Since they increased our speed to 100mbps, we've been experiencing severe latency spikes, as well as packet loss. Gaming is impossible at times, and streaming video is often a nightmare. If I go back through our Think Broadband quality monitor you can see the latency spikes straight away, every day. It's simply not good enough. As Virgin are the only fibre service in the area it's safe to say that they're probably over subscribed. Why increase people's speeds if the infrastructure isn't there to support it? I'd much rather a lower speed and stable connection, than this current mess!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
vmhell
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I just realised that I posted my message in the wrong place. Please feel free to remove it.
0 Kudos