Menu
DavidShush
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Constant Lag Spikes

Been getting constant lag spikes in the games I play for the past few months at least. Those being Counter Strike Source and the Killing Floor.

I've tested the games on a wired PC connection and 2 wireless laptops, the result is the same. My ping will remain low for a while before shooting up. This happens constantly every couple of minutes. Very frustrating as before the last speed upgrade it wasn't an issue.

Download speeds of videos and other large files seems fine. Just the gaming issue is really annoying as now I find myself avoiding playing online video games...which is one of the main reasons I actually want an internet connection.

Some tests on a connection quality test website do show high jitter rates. Again, before I used to have no jitter. So what can I do or is it once again something VM needs to sort out?

In the SG4 postcode area.

0 Kudos
Reynad91
Joining in
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant Lag Spikes

I too have this exact same problem, I play League of Legends and my ping will go from low to high every come of minutes, but my download speeds of files are fine, i too have tested this on a wireless laptop, i installed league of legends onto it, went into a game and got the exact same ping spikes as did on my main computer, i belive it is a virgin issue as like you before the speed upgrade it was not lagging at all.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Reynad91 wrote:

I too have this exact same problem, I play League of Legends and my ping will go from low to high every come of minutes, but my download speeds of files are fine, i too have tested this on a wireless laptop, i installed league of legends onto it, went into a game and got the exact same ping spikes as did on my main computer, i belive it is a virgin issue as like you before the speed upgrade it was not lagging at all.

So as you dont know what wrong with your connection (as per your other post)  why are you advising other people?

0 Kudos
Reynad91
Joining in
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

i was just trying to reasure the op that the lag might not be on their side and that there is a good chance it is virgin media, seing as how there is little to no support from any virgin employee, if you dont have anything helpful to post, please dont post, you should checkout the youtube comment section, you sound like a trouble maker who belongs there. but the next time i want to reasure someone, i will make sure to pm you and make sure its ok to post it Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Dont think you'll see me me round YouTube Im not really "down with kids" you dig?

You weren't trying to reassure you were telling OP it was "a VM problem" when in reality you know nothing of the sort. Because their issues are similair to yours means nothing. Could be a similair issue, in a different location. Could be something totally different.

FYI tracerts to EU servers ALL show latency their end, not VM's. Peering was suspect but has now cleared up. I'm sitting on 40ms ping, constantly for two hours now. But I guess you know all that right?

There is  a reason I didnt respond to your original post YOU KNEW exactly what was wrong. You don't, and your attitude stinks. So my post above was to stop you wrecking the chances of other people getting help by filling their heads with your ill informed, unfounded and frankly WRONG opinions on whats wrong with THEIR connection.

@ OP

If you want us to run an eye over your connection could you post

from your HUB s login screen- dont log in.

Little button top right.

Upstream stats

Downstream stats

Network logs.

If you could run a wired speed test with windows in safe mode with networking, that would help us eliminate bottlenecks at your HUB.

There are numerous reports of slowdown  at the minute, but if we make sure your general connection is tip top, should help your in game latency.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi DavidShush,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing lag spikes whilst gaming online.

I've checked and the hub is currently reporting as offline, sadly I can't pull up any stats whilst it's offline.  I've checked the network segment to be sure nothing is awry there, it all looks good.

When you have chance, could you reboot the hub please and leave it powered on?  Let us know when you've done that and we'll test again for you.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
DavidShush
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. Will leave it powered on during Monday and Tuesday. Hope that helps.

How do I get into the hub settings and get more information that I see others posting on some threads? Is there a step by step guide you can link me to?

Thanks for anyone who takes the time in replying

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi DavidShush,

Thanks for the update, I've been able to run a few checks on your SuperHub and can see a potential problem with low downstream power levels and think the best bet would be to arrange for an engineer visit to get these checked out.

I'll drop you a Private Message so we can this booked in for you.

You can access the router stats yourself by simply browsing to 192.168.0.1, to check things like the power levels you don't need to sign in just click on router status top right.

Speak to you soon.

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
DavidShush
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Well it's been a week after the engineer was here and unfortunately my connection seems to have become worse with relation to the original problem.

Straight after being upgraded to the 50meg connection and minutes after the engineer left I went to test my connection on pingtest and the amount of jitter I was getting actually went up. It seems with each increase in speed I get more jitter. The ping spikes have become more frequent and higher in games also.

On the plus side the download and upload speeds are great...but I'd willingly go back to just a 2meg connection if it meant getting the same reliability and service as I had before.

What's the next course of action? Another engineer visit or is there some kind of adjustment you can do from another location?

Thanks for all your help

David

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi David,

Thanks for the update, though disappointing to hear that the engineer visit hasn't helped improve the ping problems.

Your local network segment looks in good shape, however I've tried to run a few follow up checks on your Hub and this is reporting as offline at the moment.

Could you please leave it powered on and bump us back here so we can run some diagnostics.

Speak to you soon.

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

0 Kudos