Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 5 (92 Views)

Consistent Ping spikes regardless of what time of day.

Hi,

I signed up two weeks ago but I've had pretty consistent ping spikes (every 1-2 minutes) on basically every game I've played.

I've tried changing the superhub 3.0 to modem mode and use my own router (Netgear WNR2000) and it;s made absolutely no difference whatsoever. My PC is the only thing connected to the internet and I've monitored all other programs and none are using network in a way that would interfere. If I change to Sky (still have it for a week before it disconnects) everything is fine.

I have the Vivid Gamer 200 package and realistically if the internet isn't usable for gaming I'll just cancel things and go back to sky before it disconnects.

BQM started yesterday:

My Broadband Ping - VM

I'm hoping you can resolve this quickly but if not I'll just go back to Sky I'm afriad.

Thanks, K

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5 (80 Views)

Re: Consistent Ping spikes regardless of what time of day.

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately that is a typical BQM for an Intel Puma 6/6MG modem, which is what the Hub 3 is.  Is there a quick fix?  No.  Intel and Arris have recently released a trial firmware version for the Arris SB6190 which in theory, improves the latency for TCP/IP, ICMP and UDP for both IPV4 and IPV6.  If that proves successful, it should become the basis for Puma 6/6MG modem updates worldwide.  I expect that there might be another trial version or two released before that happens.  Don't know at this point in time.  After that is settled, then the updated files can be distributed to the various modem manufacturers to commence updating their modems, followed by implementation by the various ISPs.  So, this won't be a quick fix, even if and when the trial firmware versions are deemed acceptable.

For more information, have a look at the following thread:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Hub-3-Compal-CH7465-LG-TG2492LG-and-CGNV4-Latenc...

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 5 (76 Views)

So this is true even in modem mode ? I understand that this is basically a super hub 3 problem, is it possible to ask for a hub 2.0? I previously had virgin 1 year ago and my ping was fine always under 30 no spikes. Now a year later it's 35~ at best and constant spikes. Thanks for the reply.
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5 (71 Views)

It won't matter what mode the modem is operating in, the results will be the same for router (gateway) mode or modem (bridge) mode.  If you take a look at the back end of that thread, from what I remember, it looks like a few VM customers have managed to swap modems back to a Hub 2, but it wasn't easy.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 5 (67 Views)

Can't see it happening for me then, most posts I've seen people have managed to roll back to existing 2hubs haven't seen one where virgin have willingly provided it when you don't already have it. I'll phone tonight. Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos