Menu
Danthdan
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Consistent Ping/Lag spikes

So i'm only here because everywhere else i've looked for a result for this problem, has been an utter waste of time.

I play a hell of allot of League of Legends, a game in which a split second mistake can cost you an entire 40 minute average game. There is literally not one game that i play in which i am not hit with my ping going from 32-16000, yes 16,000....

I'm no tech expert at all, and i have literally no idea why this happens. Most of the time i just think it's the game, it's a problem on there side , but when i'm sat in a skype call with other people who live on the same street as me, and they're all playing fine, kinda makes me have to assume it's a problem with the internet.

But that's not even it...There's more!

My Mother uses a NowTV box to watch some tv shows every now and then, when she does, it completely "kills" the internet, i can barely load webpages when the NowTV box is on. This also happens when someone is using the internet on something like a phone. If that's not all every now and then the internet just cuts out and will tell me my services are limited. Only to come back randomly.

So this has been going on for a long while now. Months and months ago i even opted into getting an upgrade to hopefully fix this problem(like a sap), i'm supposed to be getting 100meg broadband( or atleast that's what i'm told i'm being sold) ,out of the literal hundreds of tests i've done. I've only ever seen it max out on about 72, so what's up with that?

Rant aside, i just want to enjoy the service i pay for, hell i can even tolerate lag spikes/dc's whatever.... but to happen so consistently is just so annoying. It feels like i had a more reliable and stable connection when i was using Dial up with Tiscali, seriously...

If someone could help me out , that would be greatly appreciated. Just go easy on me with all the technical jargon, i'm a noob.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Consistent Ping/Lag spikes

So we can help us to help you, can you

Go to your Superhub Log in screen

Do NOT log in.

Little button top right.....

Can you post Upstream, Downstream and Network logs.

Screen caps are nice, C&P will do- Don't stress about formatting if you C&P. Someone will get a look and see if there's anything obvious amiss.

0 Kudos
Danthdan
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi , thankyou for the reply, here's what you asked for.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Looks fairly normal...

Can you run a speedtest, wired to the SuperHub , see what that is coming in at.

Next how are you connecting? Wired/wireless/ a mix?

0 Kudos
Danthdan
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can't run a wired speed test right now , my router is downstairs where my grandmother sleeps so i'll have to get back to you in the morning with that one, i can give you a wireless result tho

Looks better than normal right? i really do wish i was making this up :C

As for how i connect, 99% of the time it's wireless(I'm one of those uh.. laptop users)

At one point i thought it could be some sort of malware or w/e, after a good few hours of scanning , i got the all clear for my laptop.

Downloads are generally fine, the problem is only when trying to play games.

I remember back a few years ago allot of my friends had a problem with the connection on there consoles because of there network type was restricted or not open (forgive me , it's been a a while)

Bit of a shot in the dark but that couldn't have anything to do with it, could it?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The ports issue (open/strict NAT types) generally applies to consoles. On PC's , both desktop or laptop, generally online gaming works or it doesn't. SO if you can connect alright, the ports side of things is fine.

We need to get some wired stats to see what we can get you speed and latency wise- but a word of caution. You are using wireless in a household with other wireless devices, plus the usual assortment of household devices kicking out RF interference. Wireless is LIKELY to have a much higher latency.

While we wait for a wired test, have you checked you are using the best band for wireless?  get inssider or similar and check what frequencies are clearest where you are.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Danthdan,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you've been getting lag spikes and slow speeds. 

Kippies has been absolutely on point so far, wireless is a very unstable medium which is susceptible to all sorts of interference outside of our control. I've checked your connection and everything looks perfectly normal from here. Once you've tried a wired connection post the results here for us.

Also kippies advice on using a wireless scanner like InSSIDer would certainly help in getting your wireless more stable. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos