Menu
DSNv
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Connection quality issues

Hi guys, posting this here as suggested by John_G, and hoping you can help.

I've been having issues with the quality of my connection.  I ran Ping Plotter and found that my line is showing high latency, jitter and packet loss at all times of the day (so not just during peak times).  Here's a link to my Ping Plotter results:

http://imgur.com/ayyIGJS

Can anyone take a look and see if there's something that can be done to improve this ?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Connection quality issues

Hey DSNv - Just had a look, obviously you're pinging twitter's domain, it might be worth setting up monitor here. That will ping your gateway over time and produce a graph (like the one below) that you may have seen around these forums.

I only set this one up this morning so that is why you're only seeing a partially completed graph.

Hopefully you will be able to identify patterns in response times and even packet loss etc. It's worth noting you need to allow ICMP (pings) to your gateway, I believe this may be switched off by default on newer SuperHubs but it can be enabled through the web interface through a simple check box.

My Broadband Ping - Home

0 Kudos

All Replies
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hey DSNv - Just had a look, obviously you're pinging twitter's domain, it might be worth setting up monitor here. That will ping your gateway over time and produce a graph (like the one below) that you may have seen around these forums.

I only set this one up this morning so that is why you're only seeing a partially completed graph.

Hopefully you will be able to identify patterns in response times and even packet loss etc. It's worth noting you need to allow ICMP (pings) to your gateway, I believe this may be switched off by default on newer SuperHubs but it can be enabled through the web interface through a simple check box.

My Broadband Ping - Home

0 Kudos
DSNv
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the suggestion, I've set up a broadband quality monitor just now. I'll leave it to run for a day and then post up results so you guys can take a look.
0 Kudos
DSNv
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

OK guys so this is what I'm seeing so far, not great news !

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/9c4dcc6f409116331ff8281282ca6aa7-10-02-2017.html
0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That does seem unstable at a first look. At least it's providing information showing that in peak times there is a significant difference between you overall average throughout the day. What other devices do you have connected to the network and how are you connecting them?

For comparison here is my domestic connection covering the same time period. Ignore the spike as I was performing some tests at that time which would account for that. The peak times do show increased latency but well within the norm for me. Didn't affect game play last night on either PC or XB1.

My Broadband Ping - Home

0 Kudos
DSNv
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

For me the concerning thing is that my connection wavers constantly throughout the day.  There's an obvious spike in the evening when me and my wife will be streaming / downloading movies via Sky Q / online gaming, but my connection wavers towards maximum latency even when nothing is going on.  Although I only have a rudimentary understanding of networking I would want to see a lot more blue and green and a lot less yellow.

Are there any of the tech guys reading this that could help / look into it for me ?  To be brutally honest one of the reasons I'm going down this route is to give Virgin a fair throw of the dice to try and improve things for me before I start looking at another provider.  It's great to have fast download speeds but what I really want is a stable connection for video gaming and streaming.

This is what my latest set of results look like.  You can see the maximum latency is present all the way through the night.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/9c4dcc6f409116331ff8281282ca6aa7-10-02-2017.html 

0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

In all honesty the minimum latency is sub 20ms for the majority of the day, your average is consistent other than in the evening as well. It doesn't look like packets are being dropped either, very rarely, maybe one or two instances of this. If packets were being dropped consistently then that would indicate a much more serious issue.

VM may be able to correct the issues you're experiencing in the evening as they can see the connection quality in much more detail. The yellow you're seeing is around 30ms for the majority of the graph and again only becomes an issue during the evening.

It may be worth giving the technical support team a call when you're in to see if they can resolve this remotely or send out an engineer if the need arises. There is an issue from what I have read specifically relating to the new SuperHub 3 as well, but this isn't something that can be fixed yet from what is being said.
0 Kudos
DSNv
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm going to give the support team a call. I'm not actually using a Superhub 3 (I'd read there are issues with that), VM recently sent me a Superhub 2 AC as a replacement for my previous hub which had gone faulty.

This is what I'm seeing on my most recent BQM graph:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/f8f29deed4ca3973c1e8b8dff07ea70d-11-02-2017.html
0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There are definite spikes and they are not consistent as well, which could suggest a change in network conditions either internally or externally.

The biggest spike was around 9pm - Did you change or do anything that you could think would affect your connection, such as starting a peer-to-peer service?

For what it's worth, it doesn't look like your in an OU area as the latency is generally within acceptable bounds for most of the day.

For comparison here's what our cable connection looks like at the office. This is on the 300Mb/s service and Hitron router (it's in gateway mode so it does no routing or other functions).

My Broadband Ping - Work

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey DSNv,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Just wanted to let you know that I've just replied to your PM regarding your connection problems, if you need me to help with anything, you know where I am.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos