Menu
danhenry_
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Connection Issues with Online Gaming

Hello,

I have been having some connection issues with online gaming on both PS4 / PC. I am finding that when i play games it tends to lack quite frequently. The games are just about playable but its frustrating to have moments of 'lag'. E.g, i play FIFA 17 a lot on my ps4, and i have noticed that my connection when i have matched someone, switches between orange / green. On PC i play LoL, and i find that my ping spikes very high every couples of minutes and i am unable to do anything. My speeds of my PC / Ps4 I have listed below:

My PC is connected via ethernet cable from my router, and my download speed is 75mbps, upload 5mbps with ping of 13 (speedtest.net)

My PS4 is connected via wifi and has a signal strength of 98-100%, download speed 10.2Mbps, upload 3.7Mbps. Nat Type 2.

Does anyone have any advice they can give me in fixing this problem? I have done some research and i think it could be down to my firewall/router and needing to open ports?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connection Issues with Online Gaming

Hello,

Try activating uPnP rather than full blown port forwarding. Universal Plug and play activated on your router and devices will open the ports when required and close them when not required. Port triggering would be my next step before full blown port forwarding which is my last resort.

Another thing you want to do is the DHCP reservation of all your connected devices, you also do this setting in your router.

If you are hard wired using RJ45 cables it might be time you update your cable to CAT 6 or 7.

If you are using your own router with the HUB in modem mode then you can also change your DNS servers. I use opendns.com but there are many more such as comodo, googles etc. Do a search for public DNS servers in the UK.

What are your current downstream and Upstream levels?

Things like ping and latency will be higher in the evenings say from 6pm to 1am, well mine are anyway.

What router are you using?

EDIT: just noticed your PS4 is wireless. My best advice here, get it hard wired.

May the force be with you,

MOA.

HUB 2ac in modem mode, Netgear R7800 Router, a wee switch & NAS.

My Broadband Ping - MOA VM Monitor
0 Kudos