Menu
faxboy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Connecting 2 x PS4 to superhub 2 with open nat for both when playing call of duty

Good morning

I'm hoping someone can help me solve a problem and stop me getting head ache from my kids!

We have 2 x PS4

PS4 (1) is wired directly to the superhub 2 via ethernet and has a static IP address with the correct ports forwarded for call of duty. This gives an open Nat type while playing Call of duty games. Awesome!!

PS4 (2) is connected using wifi to the super hub 2 via a Belking N300 range extender.

This PS4 also has a static IP address (different to the first) and is placed into the DMZ of the superhub 2

but only has moderate Nat type when playing call of duty. Not Awesome!

Anybody know of a solution? could the wifi extender be the problem? (without the extender we are unable to connect to the wifi and its too far from the super hub for a wired connection)

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Connecting 2 x PS4 to superhub 2 with open nat for both when playing call of duty

I think it is unlikely that the extender would influence the NAT type, but the only way to be 100% sure would be to try it without it.  I appreciate that temporarily moving the wireless PS4 to get it in range of the hub might be awkward, but it is the only way to be sure.

I'm not a serious online gamer, but my NAT has been moderate on my PS3 & PS4 for years and I haven't noticed any impact on my online gaming.  I do however use my own third party router which I know works well with multiple consoles, which the VM hubs often do not.  Any issues with the wireless PS4 are much more likely to be because it is connected via wireless which always has more lag than wired, rather than because of the NAT type.  Using powerline adapters to create a wired connection via your electrical wiring is often a better solution than a wireless extender.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Connecting 2 x PS4 to superhub 2 with open nat for both when playing call of duty

It is a common mistake that moderate NAT is not good enough for online gaming but it usually is.  I suspect the problems your son is experiencing are due to the poor routing in the VM hubs which often struggles with two devices that use identical ports.  This should be handled by UPnP, without the need for any port forwarding, some routers implement the UPnP protocols well and others not some much.  I would put the VM hubs in the "not so much" category.  The setup you have has worked for some people but not all and often the solution is a third party router and sticking the hub into modem mode.  With the right router this could also improve your wireless range and do away with the need for an extender.

A bit surprised that powerline adapters didn't work, unless the two locations in your home are on separate ring mains.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I think it is unlikely that the extender would influence the NAT type, but the only way to be 100% sure would be to try it without it.  I appreciate that temporarily moving the wireless PS4 to get it in range of the hub might be awkward, but it is the only way to be sure.

I'm not a serious online gamer, but my NAT has been moderate on my PS3 & PS4 for years and I haven't noticed any impact on my online gaming.  I do however use my own third party router which I know works well with multiple consoles, which the VM hubs often do not.  Any issues with the wireless PS4 are much more likely to be because it is connected via wireless which always has more lag than wired, rather than because of the NAT type.  Using powerline adapters to create a wired connection via your electrical wiring is often a better solution than a wireless extender.

faxboy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for the reply and suggestions.

I've tried the powerline connectors but they didn't work.
I will try the wireless PS4 closer to the router and see if that works.

The wireless PS4. Currently has Nat type 2 which as far as I'm concerned is ideal but my son sometimes has problems joining his friends in call of duty and he is blaming the moderate Nat type that the game is telling him he has.

Thanks again
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It is a common mistake that moderate NAT is not good enough for online gaming but it usually is.  I suspect the problems your son is experiencing are due to the poor routing in the VM hubs which often struggles with two devices that use identical ports.  This should be handled by UPnP, without the need for any port forwarding, some routers implement the UPnP protocols well and others not some much.  I would put the VM hubs in the "not so much" category.  The setup you have has worked for some people but not all and often the solution is a third party router and sticking the hub into modem mode.  With the right router this could also improve your wireless range and do away with the need for an extender.

A bit surprised that powerline adapters didn't work, unless the two locations in your home are on separate ring mains.

faxboy
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Good morning

The powerline adapters could not connect to each other, we live in quite an old house which has had some alterations in the past and yes it has two ring mains.

I will investigate the separate router option.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It has now been brought to my attention that the port forwarding rules will be applied to traffic before it reaches the PS4 in the DMZ so that could explain why it is having difficulties.  Traffic that should have gone to the DMZ PS4 could well be getting forwarded to the other PS4.

0 Kudos
faxboy
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Is there a way to fix this?

I have looked at getting a router and using the superhub2 in modem mode but I don't fancy spending £100 or so when it should work with just the superhub2.

Regards

Adam

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adam

The way the port forwarding is working is not broken, so can't be fixed.  The UPnP in VM hubs is arguably broken but is unlikely to get fixed anytime soon, if ever in the older SH2.  From the reports I have seen on here the newer Hub 3 is just as bad if not worse.

So getting your own router is the only reliable solution.  The VM hubs, like all free ISP routers, are basic devices that for some people are fine but for others not so much.  If you look on the Xbox forums you will see that struggling with two consoles on the same connection is not exclusive to VM.

It might seem harsh but with a third party router you often get better wireless reception and you will be able to configure it the way you want and not be stuck with crippled customized VM firmware.

0 Kudos
faxboy
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I thought as much. Any recommendations?

I am going to contact Virgin and see if they will help with the cost of a router. Worth a shot for nothing.

Regards

Adam

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Lots of people on here recommend Asus routers, but I only have experience of Netgear kit and in particular my current R7000.  I have seen the R7000 mentioned on several forums and Reddit threads as working well with multiple consoles.  Here is an example, which lists a few other models as well:

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/40pllw/list_of_routers_supporting_2_xbox_ones_with_an/

Although that discussion linked above is referring to multiple Xbox consoles, the same principles would apply for multiple Playstation consoles.

I know the R7000 isn't cheap, so I'd suggest finding a router within your budget and then search for reviews or feedback about how well it works with multiple consoles.  Amazon is often quite good for looking up reviews about a particular router.