Menu
dronz
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Completely unacceptable latency. Constant lag spikes, gaming impossible.

I've had problems with lag spikes that render all gaming impossible for around a year now. Doesn't occur 100% of the time but is basically guaranteed to happen at peak times and also often happens at other times of day/night. I have the 100Mbps package and I have no issues with bandwidth.

The main device I use (and the one I have used for tests) is a PC connected by LAN. I've tried modem mode but I still get the exact same problem. I am sure that it is not a problem with my PC because I have also used it the last two years at university, with a 10Mbps copper wire connection, also connected by LAN, and not had any latency issues.

I also get the exact same problem on my PC connected by wifi, on my PS4 connected by wifi, and on my PS4 connected by LAN to modem mode.

Here are my thinkbroadband ping monitor results from the last few days which demonstrate the scale of the problem pretty well:

17th July 2016:
My Broadband Ping - 16/07/2016

18th July 2016

19th July 2016:

You will notice it gets progressively worse over the three days. On the day before the date of the first graph I reset my router. The lag seems to be not as bad after I reset the router, although even then it is still bad enough to have a really adverse effect on gaming.

This leads me to suspect that it is a problem with the modem/router, which is the original Superhub, so pretty old. We have been with virgin media for years and I didn't have these problems at the beginning. I have bought a new router with QoS but that's not going to solve my problem when even modem mode gives me insane lag.

So, to any virgin employees reading this (and I hope you are, because the only reason I'm using this forum is because the support chat feature is perpetually unavailable): I want a solution / a new modem / an engineer to come and fix this problem, for free. If this isn't resolved soon then I'm switching ISP, because why on earth should I be paying a premium for 'superfast' fibre optic broadband when I actually get a far better experience with a low bandwidth copper connection.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any help.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Completely unacceptable latency. Constant lag spikes, gaming impossible.

dronz wrote:

You will notice it gets progressively worse over the three days. On the day before the date of the first graph I reset my router. The lag seems to be not as bad after I reset the router, although even then it is still bad enough to have a really adverse effect on gaming.

This leads me to suspect that it is a problem with the modem/router, which is the original Superhub, so pretty old. We have been with virgin media for years and I didn't have these problems at the beginning. I have bought a new router with QoS but that's not going to solve my problem when even modem mode gives me insane lag.

I believe there is a known issue with the original super hub where buffers fill up and latency gets worse over time and restarting the hub clears the buffers.  That seems to fit with your experience of things improving when you reset the hub.

The VM staff will get to your thread eventually, but it could take up to a week, so if you need a faster response then you have to call in and report the fault.

FYI The forum team respond to the oldest post waiting for a reply. This means if you keep posting on the thread it will bump you to the bottom of their list. 

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

dronz wrote:

I believe there is a known issue with the original super hub where buffers fill up and latency gets worse over time and restarting the hub clears the buffers.  That seems to fit with your experience of things improving when you reset the hub.

The VM staff will get to your thread eventually, but it could take up to a week, so if you need a faster response then you have to call in and report the fault.

FYI The forum team respond to the oldest post waiting for a reply. This means if you keep posting on the thread it will bump you to the bottom of their list. 

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

legacy1
Hero
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

dronz wrote:

Because you need to set it in modem mode likely you just want a new super hub but you have not really bought a router for modem mode so all you had to do was say that.

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFl...

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So you have not even setup a BQM in modem mode what good it that a BQM of router mode does not mean anything that we already know anyway.

0 Kudos
SW89
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

I am experiencing the exact same problem. I've recently upgraded to the100Mbps package and not only I still have huge random spikes but when I measure the broadband speed I only get 43Mbps ???. At this point Im not even sure the upgrade has been performed (and somehow they got the new fee right though (ha)). I would really appreciate if someone gets back to me, I've bee trying to speak to someone on the phone but it's impossible to get a hold of anyone at Virgin..

Thanks,

Stan

0 Kudos
atka
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have the exact same experience with the Super HUB, I can get 50 Mpbs downloads but
in gaming with my PC or Xbox 360 I see that every few minutes packets get "buffered" up
and create 500-1000ms latency spikes.

It makes the whole thing useless for gaming; I just completely quit a session because of
this issue.
Unless this is addressed I will search for another internet provider that they / their equipment
doesn't have these issues.

0 Kudos
Greenish
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The problem lies in the fact that the service of this level is not able to change the preferences box called a router - HuB3, designed to satisfied WiFi users.

If there is a problem, you send away people with nothing to reset modem and then the whole procedure that has to calm potential users.

(  - Connect cables... and expose additional cost ).

More than this I use a connection before the transformation UPC - VM, has never been such inconvenience with effect delivery of the Internet as it is today since the change "provider -  operator", links were much slower because were not developed enough but stable. Level of demand was compliance requirements and have sufficient measure...

The bill does not drastically increased to offer lift parameters, which are not adequate to the promises of agreements.

My dear Mr VM, As you notice you have a lot of complaints from people who use the link and in a reasonable want to have continued as well as pay a lot of money for poor conditions to maintain contracts.

250 Mb/s on a scale that reads PS? I was hooked under a lot of links and never so confused...

From what I understand there is no method to solve the problem or justification which simplifies many concerns about order.

20160907223717.jpg20160907223909.jpg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Greenish You say "More than this I use a connection before the transformation UPC - VM"  That sounds like you might be in Ireland as UPC is an Irish ISP that was taken over by VM and this is a UK only forum so the staff here won't be able to help.  I'm guessing, based on the non English screen shots you posted that English isn't your first language.  Apologies if I have made a mistake but your post appears to have been poorly translated to English by an automated system and is very hard to understand.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others

0 Kudos
Greenish
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Indeed, screen shots are in a different language but that does not mean it's hard to deduce what is the value of download and which expresses the value of sending...

Perhaps it is hard to understand something but it is a wider range of considerations in the phenomenon that is epidemic discomfort with related to the supply Internet.

If a company has a forum as the internet provider and the horizon of action is the globe as standard in conjunction with the same principles and using the same equipment and observation shows that the problem and the result is the same everywhere, I believe that I can get valuable hints Smiley Happy

Forgive Scott and thanks, I did not notice it is the UK, and in fact US.

0 Kudos