Menu
stroudn
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

CoD rage

My son plays CoD and we regularly here loud thuds and cursing from the room where he plays above the kitchen when he says it regularly lags. I have seen loads of reports on blogs saying that the headline broadband speed is not the main measure and latency is as important if not more important.

So I would really like Virgin to address this issue - does posting on this blog elicit a response from Virgin or do I need to call them?

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
arronlowley
Up to speed
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: CoD rage

latency is most important, the higher the latency the worse gaming becomes, high latency is the main cause of rage, i should know xD.

anyway, i would suggest calling them, you will get a faster response that way.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/6c7f9a9f20c4b3cac9edc401f62167c3.html
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

While calling in will get a faster response it is unlikely to be a helpful response, especially if you get the off shore call centre.  This forum is primarily for providing customer to customer support and advice, but if needed VM staff will respond although it can take up to a week.

It would be helpful to know which CoD game it is and on which platform?  Is the PC or console connected via an Ethernet cable or wireless?

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
stroudn
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi

He plays CoD Black Ops 3 on Xbox1. It used to be connected over wireless, and even that should have been fine as the wireless router is in the same room so the signal is very good, but after he started experiencing lagging I then bought a cable so now it is cabled directly into the Virgin Superhub. This seems to have helped a little but my son has shown me that, although the signal can be fine at times, at other times the signal drops right out to the extent that the signal strength is clearly the worse or amongst the worse signal of all the players in the CoD game.

Thanks

Neil

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Neil

Wired always has less lag than wireless, regardless of the distance from the router, because of the way wireless works.

Is there any pattern to when lag is worst, does it get worse at peak times in the evening or at weekends?  Does this only happen with this game or does it also happen with others?

A quick Google brings up this suggestion:

"The first thing to try if you are placed into a match and experience Black Ops 3 lag after playing many good games is to back out and find a new lobby. More often than not this will fix the problem."

Found that here:
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2016/06/15/black-ops-3-problems-fixes/

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

arronlowley wrote:

latency is most important, the higher the latency the worse gaming becomes, high latency is the main cause of rage, i should know xD.

anyway, i would suggest calling them, you will get a faster response that way.

Incorrect. Latency is not the issue until it gets HUGE as the game will compensate. Largely the player will compensate as well by leading targets etc. JITTER is the main course of rage. When from minute to minute you are trying to guess if you need to lead a target or not depending on what your latency is at that point. And an even bigger cause is not being very good at the game.

I also wouldn't recommend anyone with those sorts of issues ringing in on 150 as there is zero chance of first line being able to do anything.

Can you post the power levels from your router stroudn?

Go to your Superhub Log in screen

Do NOT log in.

Little button top right.....

Can you post Upstream, Downstream and Network logs.

Screen caps are nice, C&P will do- Don't stress about formatting if you C&P. Someone will get a look and see if there's anything obvious amiss.

stroudn
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scott

He says the lagging can happen anytime and he has not determined any pattern. We have to bear in mind that he is at school and therefore most of the time he is playing is during peak times i.e. evenings and weekends. However school had finished last week and he said he also experienced just as much lagging during the week day last week.

It happens on Fifa 16 and other CoD games as well (Black Ops 1 and Advance warfare).

He says he has tried backing out and finding a new lobby but that doesn't generally seem to help.

Thanks

Neil

0 Kudos
stroudn
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi
I had a look at this a while ago but can't remember the stats but broadly everything looked OK. (I work in IT so I have a little prior understanding of all this:-) I pinged the server and the response rates seemed OK as far as I could tell.
Thanks for the suggestion though and I will have another look at the weekend when I have some more time.
Thanks
Neil
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

stroudn wrote:

Hi Scott

He says the lagging can happen anytime and he has not determined any pattern. We have to bear in mind that he is at school and therefore most of the time he is playing is during peak times i.e. evenings and weekends. However school had finished last week and he said he also experienced just as much lagging during the week day last week.

It happens on Fifa 16 and other CoD games as well (Black Ops 1 and Advance warfare). 

Fifa 16 seems to have lag deliberately added by EA when hosting a match, see this post from @Shelke:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming/Fifa-16-Input-delay-PS4/m-p/3130994#M22801

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Also found a Black Ops 3 thread where it is suggested that in game lag maybe an issue with the Treyarch servers and recent DLC:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming/Black-ops-3-ps4-ping-jumping/m-p/3136396

0 Kudos