Menu
Roberts3430
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Changing my DNS for gaming on PS4

Hi,

Can changing my DNS on my own router help with game play on PS4? If so could you suggest any.

Thanks

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changing my DNS for gaming on PS4

Some what no but you can try as it might do something given that DNS servers are becoming IP source based on your WAN IP to give you a answer based on your WAN IP but this is mostly for CDN stuff.

Most of the ones used are:
4.2.2.1 - 4.2.2.6
0 Kudos
Roberts3430
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick response, I have seen the 8.8.8.8 dotted around I believe that this is the google DNS. Is this OK in the UK?

Thanks again

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Roberts3430 wrote:

Thanks for the quick response, I have seen the 8.8.8.8 dotted around I believe that this is the google DNS. Is this OK in the UK?

Why wouldn't it be OK?

0 Kudos
Nex
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Basically, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are found by using what's called anycast.

Google have this address dotted around every country, and the "nearest" will respond first, so the UK's 8.8.8.8 won't be the same server as a US 8.8.8.8. But, google will be able to manipulate each countries DNS entries to allow, as legacy put it, for local CDN to serve the nearest requester, instead of sending the traffic half way across the world.

Think of it this way, would it make sense for everyone in the world to connect to youtube if it was only hosted in California? It would pretty much break the internet as we know it, as the cross atlantic links would be saturated and pretty much cut NA off from the rest of the world Smiley Wink

So they dot CDN's around the world to reduce internet backbone traffic. There's even more to this to be honest, in that they put CDN's within an ISP's network (Virgin have one for google services), so that the ISP doesn't have to pay for massive peering links, and only have to maintain their own core network and shift resources accordingly.

But now, to answer your question.... To improve your gameplay? Seriously doubt it.

Random signature here... I'll get back to this some day!
0 Kudos