Menu
mastermjr2004
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Cannot access Lenovo Iomega IX2 4TB Personal Cloud externally.

Hi,

I hope you are all well. I understand that I have mentioned other hardware that is not related to virgin, but I was advised by a Lenovo Tech that this maybe an ISP issue. So essentially I have a Lenovo Iomega IX2 4TB. I have set the nas accordingly being able to access network shares ect through local network, but cannot seem to connect externally using Personal Cloud. I have Virgin Media fibre optics which the supplied router is in modem mode and it is connected to a Netgear WNDR3700v4 where the Nas is connected using the supplied ethernet cable. Essentially I use Port Triggering as I have 2 Xbox Ones in the house, therefore is the only best way to get open Nas on both of them. i have opened all necessary ports 80,50500, 443 for Personal Cloud. Now even though these said ports are open, when i try to access the personal cloud on my 4g data plan and also at work it does not connect and just shows connection timed out. Also when I do a port check online for my public address on port 80 it states that port is closed. I appreciate any help on this. Could you please advise if these ports are blocked by Virgin? Also does the modem's firewall still function whilst on modem mode?

Kind regards,

Matt

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cannot access Lenovo Iomega IX2 4TB Personal Cloud externally.

So set up port forwarding for NAS, delete port 80 from port triggering to Xbone- , test with NAS

if it works, change port 80 back to triggering for both, test if that works-

assuming its only port 80 that's overlapping?

At least you'll know what up then...

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No VM do not block those poerts

Once in router mode, the firewall on SHUB will NOT function

From memory of lenovo products, there should be a port test in the products interface. What does that show?

Are you using the invite URL from the interface to access the NAS from WAN side? As far as I know you need to use the specific URL provided, NOT just try and browse it from WAN side using the IP/hostname (if set)

0 Kudos
mastermjr2004
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I thought they wouldn't block these ports, but just wanted to make sure.

When you say router mode, are you referring to modem mode?

There is a test that is done on the NAS which checks to make sure that the required ports are open and accessible, which notifies me that all is good. Again I understand that VM do not troubleshoot 3rd party routers, but here attached is a screenshot of my port triggering settings on my Netgear WNDR3700v4;

Netgear WNDR3700v4 Port Triggering RulesNetgear WNDR3700v4 Port Triggering Rules

Do you know if I need to setup rules to use TCP & UDP as the Service Type, as you can see I have set it up as TCP as you can only setup one or the other and not both for the triggering port, although it does use both for the inbound connection.

I presume the triggering port would be the port of the NAS?

Also I am using the Personal Cloud link provided which is included within an email sent from the NAS.

Thanks so much for your help. Smiley Happy

Kind regards,

Matt

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Try setting it up under port forwarding instead of port triggering.

Port triggering is grand for something connecting OUTWARDS LAN side to WAN, port forwarding should be used for INWARD bound connections from WAN to LAN

0 Kudos
mastermjr2004
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If I do that then I am going to lose open Nat on one of my Xbox one's as Port forwarding will always keep that port open for the IP address for that specific device and only that device whereas Port triggering only triggers the port when the device needs to use that port. Smiley Sad

But I will try your suggestion as a test and i will let you know. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

So set up port forwarding for NAS, delete port 80 from port triggering to Xbone- , test with NAS

if it works, change port 80 back to triggering for both, test if that works-

assuming its only port 80 that's overlapping?

At least you'll know what up then...

0 Kudos
mastermjr2004
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thank you so much for your help and support. I can confirm that Port forwarding now works and my Personal Cloud works accordingly. Smiley Happy

Kind regards,

Matt

0 Kudos