Menu
JrLUK86
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can only download continuously on steam as long as i stream a YouTube video?! [Edit]

This is certainly a strange one i haven't encountered before. With the reason switch to Vivid there have obviously been a few outages and interruptions with my service causing various issues due to the intermittent nature of the connection. This problem however is entirely a new one. 

At the moment Im downloading some of my back logged steam titles. The download begins for a while and then stops. Steam schedules it to resume in 5 mins time. This happens repeatedly in some instances basically halting the download full stop. This isn't the case however when Im running something in the background like YouTube or something which seems to constantly need the internet running to stream. 

Its not a major issue but i want it addressed just in case something is going on in the background causing this. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Edit: Have now downloaded around 20gb and all downloads now schedule no matter what internet activity goes on in the background. I presume fair use is coming into play? Any info on this or the numbers when it come to limits of how much can be downloaded in X amount of time before throttling or limits come into play. 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can only download continuously on steam as long as i stream a YouTube video?! [Edit]

In steam click steam > settings > download and uncheck “throttle download while steaming”.

0 Kudos

All Replies
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can only download continuously on steam as long as i stream a YouTube video?! [Edit]

In steam click steam > settings > download and uncheck “throttle download while steaming”.

0 Kudos
JrLUK86
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Although this setting was ticked, two restarts and change of download locations have done nothing to change this issue. 

0 Kudos
JrLUK86
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

/Bump

0 Kudos
GameRazer
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Fwiw I get awful speeds on Steam routinely, even when my connection is solid elsewhere and the speed is decent. I suspect it depends how much traffic they're getting. It doesn't actually pause but it's pretty awful, it can take literally hours for one download.

0 Kudos
JrLUK86
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I dont mind the drops in speed but having them not even start or keep stopping can increase the risk of corrupting the download files. 

0 Kudos
JrLUK86
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Still having this issue so any help from a Virgin tech would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi JrLUK86,

I'm sorry to hear you're suffering problems with your Steam downloads.  There aren't any issues that we're currently, although this is a strange problem so I'm keen to help you get to the bottom of things.

Are any other download services displaying similar behaviour at the moment?  Are there any indications of issues with the connection overall?  I've run a couple of tests and everything looks really positive with the hub and network segment.  I'd recommend trying your connection in modem mode with a wired connection to see if this makes any difference.  It may also be worth contacting Steam Support if you haven't already.

Let us know how you get on.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos