Menu
BrySkye
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Can I expect a hard time keeping my Superhub 2ac over a HUB 3?

Hi all.

So, yesterday via the live chat function, I upgraded from my VIVID200 to the VIVID 200 Gamer, saying as the higher upload rate and lack of traffic management for an extra fiver a month seems worth while as a live streamer and youtuber.

However, I was also told I 'needed' a Hub 3. After somewhat reluctantly accepting (My Superhub 2ac is less than a year old and I couldn't think of a reason why this should be the case) and a little trip through this forum, and the various articles online detailing the severe problems with the actual chipset itself, there's just no way I'm going to swap over to an inferior piece of equipment until I'm confident the latency and lag spike issues is properly fixed, especially after seeing posts such as this:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/VM-RE-Vivid-200-Gamer/m-p/3211928/highlight/true#...

Stating that its entirely possible to enable the 200/20 service on the Superhub 2ac and that it has been done. The removal of traffic management should also be a non-issue.

Now I'm expecting some difficulties in this, so any help or advice, or even some of the actual Virgin staff that read here such @Josh_RW or @Nat_J can help more directly, since they at least are very well aware of the problems, whereas some staff on the phone or live chat may try to be a bit more difficult. ;P
We know the problems, they are well documented, I'm not going to fuss about with pointless engineer visits, etc.

If not, well, I'll revert back to the previous Vivid 200 contract, so obviously time is a bit pressing on this one.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can I expect a hard time keeping my Superhub 2ac over a HUB 3?

As I understand it the VM ordering system will only allow the activation of the Gamer tier on a Hub 3, but once you have activated the new tier on your account it is possible for VM to roll back to your SH2ac, activate it again and push the gamer tier config to the SH2.

This is unlikely to be something the forum team can arrange for you and the folks on here that I have seen achieve this have AFAIK done it through talking to the phone support staff.  It just might take a bit of pushing to get them to do it.  Also based on current forum team response times, taking Christmas and New Year bank holidays in to consideration, it could be some time in January before you get a response on here.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos

All Replies
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Keeping Superhub 2ac over a HUB 3?

0 Kudos
BrySkye
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So one quick update. The folks on the Virgin Media twitter account have at least said there shouldn't be an issue in getting the full VIVID 200 Gamer 200/20 service enabled on the Superhub 2ac, so now I'm just waiting on the forum team here to help make some progress towards that happening. Smiley Happy

The Hub 3 should be arriving tomorrow, though I have no intention of unpacking it.
I imagine I'll have to return it, which obviously isn't a problem, but let's get a dialogue going first!

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

BrySkye wrote:

So one quick update. The folks on the Virgin Media twitter account have at least said there shouldn't be an issue in getting the full VIVID 200 Gamer 200/20 service enabled on the Superhub 2ac, so now I'm just waiting on the forum team here to help make some progress towards that happening. Smiley Happy

The Hub 3 should be arriving tomorrow, though I have no intention of unpacking it.
I imagine I'll have to return it, which obviously isn't a problem, but let's get a dialogue going first!

Just to add that even the stock SH2 can handle it, i don't even have the AC version Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As I understand it the VM ordering system will only allow the activation of the Gamer tier on a Hub 3, but once you have activated the new tier on your account it is possible for VM to roll back to your SH2ac, activate it again and push the gamer tier config to the SH2.

This is unlikely to be something the forum team can arrange for you and the folks on here that I have seen achieve this have AFAIK done it through talking to the phone support staff.  It just might take a bit of pushing to get them to do it.  Also based on current forum team response times, taking Christmas and New Year bank holidays in to consideration, it could be some time in January before you get a response on here.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Keep the SH2AC the SH3 is useless until / if they fix the firmware.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
BrySkye
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that, SCA1972

Twitter did direct me towards the forum team and it would be preferable as its always a bit hit and miss how helpful phone support can be in terms of insisting going through a whole host of procedures which you know aren't going to help.
Plus being able to just point to other posts and articles and say "Look, we know its a problem, let's just get it sorted as quickly and fuss free as possible, please."

Support is a generally thankless job and I try to be as sympathetic as possible, but the Virgin phone support has typically tried even my patience in the past. Smiley Tongue

At least it helps me form a plan of how to go about things.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@BrySkye I know what you mean about the phone support being a bit hit and miss.  The forum team are the best support team that VM currently have and I would also recommend this as a good place to visit for advice and assistance.  However making changes to your account, like swapping hubs, might need you to clear some security checks which the forum team are unfortunately not geared up to do.

I could be wrong on that, but regardless the response times on here are going to be even worse than usual over the next couple of weeks due to the holidays and a recent surge in posts due to the V6 launch.

0 Kudos
BrySkye
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Cheers again.

I've made sure to run a few tests here with the SH2ac - http://www.dslreports.com/tools/puma6 
To get some data on how the current modem is performing right now, and to measure against the Hub 3 when it goes in.

If its worse, and will literally be the only thing to have changed, I'll get on the phone armed with as much of this information as possible.

Just have to cross my fingers that I get someone who's aware of the Puma 6 chip issues in the Hub 3 and sympathetic to me wanting to sort it quickly by just swapping them back over, instead of trying to send out engineers, etc.
...Though I guess if I do take that option, well, it'd be easier to have a proper and informed discussion with an engineer in getting the old SH2ac re-activated over insisting on trying a replacement Hub 3.

Main thing for me though is knowing that the package, 20mbps upload and the removal of traffic throttling, can be applied to the old modem, which will takes some of the time related pressure off.

0 Kudos