Menu
matbou
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

CSGO Problems

Hi, I posted a while back about an issue i was having with CSGO (Link). Despite having pings between 20-60ms (for the most part) it still feels as though my interpretation of the game is delayed from that of other players. Half of my shots feel like they do not register, and i'm frequently killed by 4-5 shots the instant i peaking a corner (from a distance where they can't hear me to prefire). Also, my player model will often warp back to a previous location when i die. Someone else on the forums also had this problem (Link)

I always play on servers within Europe (UK, SWE, GER, FR) and some feel better than others, but ultimately it always feels like i have a delay.

I believe this issue is related to both network routing and csgo lag compensation. Looking at some tracert's it seems that jitter between various nodes may be the problem. Is it possible that someone from the Virgin Media team can test my connection and let me know if i have high jitter/SNR problems?

Here is a tracert from a SWE (faceit.com) server i recently played on. My ping was around 80ms and i was feeling noticeable delay (it felt like 250-500ms delay).

Tracing route to 185.62.207.18 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 5 ms 5 ms 4 ms routerlogin.net [192.168.0.1]
2 14 ms 13 ms 12 ms cpc15-roth8-2-0-gw.17-1.cable.virginm.net [82.28.49.1]
3 13 ms 13 ms 12 ms brad-core-2b-xe-132-0.network.virginmedia.net [81.97.83.181]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 35 ms 33 ms 37 ms ams2-ic-1-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.188.158]
7 33 ms 40 ms 35 ms 40ge.ams-ix.i3d.net [80.249.208.162]
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 42 ms 45 ms 41 ms 20ge.fr0-cr0.inxn-1.fra.i3d.net [109.200.218.78]
10 47 ms 43 ms 43 ms hosted-by.i3d.net [5.200.30.2]
11 89 ms 87 ms 88 ms te5-15.fra1b1.core.citynetwork.se [86.107.242.196]
12 94 ms 86 ms 88 ms te1-5-4.lon1.core.citynetwork.se [91.123.207.26]
13 150 ms 123 ms 92 ms te2-5-12.sto2.core.citynetwork.se [91.123.206.221]
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

I've tried everything on the hardware side of things to fix this problem: Reinstalling windows, drivers (old/new), graphics card settings, bios settings (e.g. disabling hyper threading etc), network settings, game settings, registry tweaks, disabling services, second PC. None of this has solved the problem. Neither did fixing my power levels (as in my previous post). At this point i'm considering moving to BT/Sky (This is not something i want to do, but the issue remains the same after at least 7 months) Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: CSGO Problems

Post your power levels from your HUB

Did it improve after your last engineers visit?

How are you connecting to HUB?

Traceroute shows everything's fine from VM, its when you hit the hosting for the server your latency doubles.

Still only 80 though. If it "feels worse" could well be a LAN issue

What are the specs of your PC, INCLUDING NIC, graphics card,mobo,processor,RAM and HD. Is your swapfile on your main drive? Have you defragged it recently?

matbou
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, No there wasn't any improvement after the last visit Smiley Sad Here are my power levels etc:

down.pngup.pngup_burst.png

I have tried connecting through an ethernet cable, ethernet powerline adapters, and wifi but it remains the same.

PC Specs:
i7-6700k - 4Ghz (running at stock)
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming mobo (BIOS 1805)
Corsair DDR4 3000mhz ram (xmp)
Nvidia 970 GTX (kfa2 geforce gtx 970 oc)
Samsung SSD 850 Evo (250gb)
Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
On-Board Realtek Audio

Yes swapfile is on main drive. I have tried all the drivers from the Asus website (new and old), as well as drivers from the manufactures websites. 2 Days ago i completely formatted my harddrive and reinstalled windows 10 for a second time just to see if it would make any difference, but still no luck.

I've been with Virgin for a very long time (back from blueyonder days). Is it possible the cable to my house hasn't been changed since then?

I'm also running a benq 144hz monitor which makes it slightly easier to aim and spot people (smoother). When running a 60hz monitor the problem seems even worse! Smiley Sad

Note: A new bios update has just been released for my mobo, so will let you know if anything changes after i update it.

Thanks for your help Smiley Happy

[MOD EDIT: Image removed as contained personal information, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

There are known issues with the 970 and CS-Go that cause the symptoms you are seeing.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/730/discussions/0/528398719798483094/

Might be related...get a look at that thread

Lets not rule out the connection though- traceroute is just a snapshot- set up BQM

HERE

Dont forget youll need to make sure your super hub is configured to reply to ICMP echo requests...

BQM.jpg

Run it for an hour or two and post the result.

What are you seeing Frame-rate wise? Does it change when you see the increased latency?

0 Kudos
matbou
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I did see that many have had problems with 970gtx and related nvidia cards (maxwell); However, i believe the stutter was due to problems in older drivers and windows 10 forcing xbox dvr (capping fps at 60) upon release. I have the card settings set within nvidia control panel to ensure maximum performance on power settings and achieve between 200-600fps (on low settings - 1920×1200). I've currently got the fps capped at the default 300 that csgo sets, and it hovers stable between 250-300fps (no stutter, noticeable graphics lag etc).

Here is my bqm that i set running last night. No one was using the Internet connection at this time so it was idle. I will continue to run throughout the day.

My Broadband Ping - VM_CSGO_Test

It really feels as though my game is rendering everything as it receives it, but some sort of latency either through the network, or between network adapter -> cpu/gpu is causing things to be out of sync. For instance, sometimes a player will suddenly zoom (teleport) from one location to another as though my game has caught up and is adjusting. Tying to hit people at a distance is incredibly difficult as even if my aim is on point, the difference between the position on my screen and on the server means that i often totally miss or hit the shoulder of a player when it should be the head. This post describes some of issues i'm seeing: Link

I have noticed that when i first join the server my ping is as high as 120ms, but then gradually lowers until it reaches a stable level between 20-50ms on most EU servers.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Is it possible to try a few rounds in modem mode to see if that makes a difference?

Well lose BQM for a bit, so set up another on the modem mode IP..

0 Kudos
matbou
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I will put it into modem mode tomorrow and run a BQM Smiley Happy

0 Kudos