Menu
RomainF
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Bufferbloating? Again?

Hello everyone,

I have experienced what I believe is bufferbloating again since 2 weeks. This is not the first time it happens as I experienced it this summer as well.

When I run Speedtest, it tells me I have 9ms ping. I can go on Skype and things seem to be pretty normal. But as soon as I connect in game, I experience huge lags, especially on League of Legends (200ms minimum!!). When there is a lot of action in game, it's even worse as I can clearly hear Skype struggling to work (sound not coming through from time to time).

In a normal day, I have 30ms on League of Legends.

This is not linked to the computer. This is not linked to the game. I connect often from other places and this seems to happen only with Virgin Media.

So why is it happening? It seems from what I have read that I am not the only having these issues with Virgin Media and that this is not a recent issue.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bufferbloating? Again?

Bufferbloat is caused really by your devices that are downloading or uploading to cause Bufferbloat in the super hubs/hub Egress rate limit of your upto limit with no QoS at that point, VM QoS between modems for fair bandwidth but if there is bandwidth available to hit your upto limit you buffer at the super hub/hub with the upstream being the most affected if you have a high upto limit and many in the area uploading as well as you.

You can get your own QoS equipment to help deal with what your devices are doing.

Or if you can test with wireless disabled and one device thats idle and if your ping is still high then you have another issue.

0 Kudos
RomainF
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry but I am not sure if I understand everything you've said.

In particular, I can't see why disabling the wireless would change anything? I am always connected wireless and most the time I have absolutely no issue. This issue has disappeared for the last few months and just started again 2 weeks ago.

I never saw such an issue with any other internet provider in the UK and even in France. Why is this happening with Virgin Media?

This seems to be a recurring issue with Virgin Media. I honestly don't want to spend my time struggling to solve this issue, as it would probably be faster to go to another internet provider...

So if anyone has a simple way to solve this issue, without having to disable the WiFi, please share it.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
RomainF
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Here is a test I have done right now. I received an F for download and D for upload...

Hope this helps.

Bufferbloat.png

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes you will receive high bufferbloat because of what I said you buffer in the super hub or hub the rate limiting Egress don't QoS your traffic so its buffered into one.

This is what I get using a custom setup method I set TCP/IP auto-tuning off which is why the 1x speed is slow and I set a download limit as 62Mb to deal with buffer back.

0 Kudos
RomainF
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Where can I change these settings?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

RomainF wrote:

Thanks. Where can I change these settings?

As I said you need to get your equipment VM are not doing QoS in the super hub / hub.

0 Kudos
RomainF
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help.

To conclude this topic, I think I will simply change to another internet provider. I never had to change any equipment in the past and never encountered this bufferbloat issue with any other internet provider. I believe it's the ISP's job to provide adequate equipment for their users.

Thanks again for your patience.

0 Kudos