Menu
satdownready
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Broadband

Good morning,

I have been with Virgin Media for a considerable length of time and generally Im pleased with the service I receive. However lately I have been getting high ping when playing Battlefield 4 online. My ping is normally around 30 but will jump to 180 - 400 at times resulting in my player running on the spot. This seems to be happening more on an evening 5pm onwards. I have tried different servers from different locations and still receive the same result.

I have carried out a clean install of windows 7.

I have carried out a full virus scan.

I have updated graphics and windows.

I am currently running an AMD 8350 with a  R9 280X graphics card.

I have the Virgin Superhub

I have made sure everything else in the house with Wifi capability is off and I have also turned off all updates.

Any ideas as to why  this would be happening ?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband

Hi Satdownready,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you're getting ping spikes with Battlefield 4. I've just checked your connection and can see no issues from here. Your power levels, SNR and area contention all look healthy. It sounds as though you're connected to the hub via wireless is this correct? Have you tried a wired connection? I would always advise gaming over a wired connection as wireless is a very unstable medium and is affected by a great many factors entirely outside our control.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
satdownready
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Good morning and thankyou.

No I connect to the broardband by an ethernet cable. I have just chatted with one of the engineers this morning about this and can I say I am disappointed. A traceroute was conducted to a BF4 server and showed 3 x request timed out before again hopping to a virgin media network point. I was told this is normal. I asked what can be done to check the stability of the connection over a period of time. I was told nothing. I asked why would server browsers also hang when trying to connect ie firefox etc, I was told I need to contact support when it does this.  I asked why would my phone struggle to connect to the wifi, again I was told everything is at the Virgin end. (even though I have no problems with connection to other wif.

So basically its all the other services but Virgin who are causing the problem, which I am struggling to believe.

What do you think ?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi satdownready,

Thanks for the update, I've run a few more checks on your service from this end and on the whole, as John has noted, the connection looks in pretty good shape.

I have noticed that on occasions the traffic on your cable can spike during peak times which could be a factor, if you could let us know when you next experience ping problems in Battelfield we can cross check this against the data from your cable to see if there is any correlation.

As a diagnostic test it would also be helpful if you could try playing Battlefield with the Hub in modem mode, as this will help rule out any wireless or router problems with the Hub.

Speak soon.

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
satdownready
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, well as usual the problems are there again. Been like this for the past hours or so. Ping spikes from 28 to 250 making it impossible to play. 

Ive tried it in modem mode also and that doesnt make any difference. But for good luck I will try it again.

Any idea ?

0 Kudos
satdownready
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

And again this evening.

What are you supposed to do ?

Virgin wont send an engineer.

When Im put through to technical support the chap tells me to switch the router on and off, take the plug out and put it back in. What an absolute shambles of a service.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

HI satdownready,

I'm sorry that this continues to be an issue for you.

I believe my colleague, Ralph_R, wanted to compare the dates/times of your increased ping times with our data. If you could provide that information I'll check to see at what times the Internet usage is peaking in your area.

I appreciate that you'd like an engineer to come out and fix things but gaming latency is rarely attributable to a physical fault, which is what our engineers test for.

Though to be honest it may be worth sending one out just to make sure there is no hard-to-detect fault causing issues. But I'll see what we can make of the data I've requested first and take things from there.

By the way, is it only BF4 that you're having problems with? Are browsing, streaming, downloads etc working as expected?

Bye for now Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
satdownready
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Good evening,

To be honest I only play Battlefield 4.............music videos normally play ok. I bought a new computer today which was preistalled with windows 10. I installed BF4 as normal. At apprx 1845 the ping went high again this evening. This makes me think it cant be anything to do with my computer really. You mentioned about data, how would you like me to record that data ?

I spoke to your tec guys on the phone. He ran me through some command prompts. On hop3 there was a large jump in the ping but I didnt record it anywhere which was a shame.

He told me the packet leaves my computer fine. When I asked about a prolonged ping to another server he repeated the ping leaves the server fine. He wasnt really understanding the online gaming side of things I dont think.

My wife suggested changing provider which is the easy option, but I sort of like Virgin and if it can be sorted thats great. The ping on BF4 is becoming unplayable on an evening but I dont believe its the EA servers otherwise it would be much more reported.

What do you suggest ?

0 Kudos
satdownready
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Any further news Jen ?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi satdownready,

Sorry for keeping you waiting Smiley Happy

I was hoping you might be able to provide me with a list of dates/times when your latency increased. I'd then be able to compare against our data to see what happens at those times (in relation to Internet usage in your area or upstream faults etc).

You could also run both a ping test & traceroute (to bbc.co.uk would be fine) at differing times and then post the output on here. 

Hope to hear from you soon Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos