Menu
andyutd1999
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speed

Hi I have allegedly got among the fastest broadband in the UK (up to 150Mb/s).

So why am I still lagging massively when I use a wired connection for my ps3 at 1 o'clock on a Monday morning with no other devices using the Internet with the sole exception being my mobile phone?

I understand that during peak times the speed may be lower than advertised but surely there aren't that many people using it at 1 am? It doesn't seem to matter when I play, I simply never get the speed I am paying for.

If someone can solve this I would be extremely grateful but otherwise I may as well cancel it and get my Internet from sky.

Thanks for your help

Andyutd1999
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband speed

Post your SH Power levels.

Have you tried Modem mode, the SH is Rubbish for Gaming on VM.

What games was you playing, and where was the remote servers based, UK, EUROPE, US

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
andyutd1999
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi unfortunately my laptop is currently broken (which is largely why I was on my ps3). So I can't do anything that requires a computer to find out :'( ) I was playing call of duty MW3 and the server was presumably EU (I'm only guessing though based on the number of French speakers on at the time and my own location). However prior to my laptop dying I was experiencing similar issues I just thought it was my laptop.

I haven't heard of modem mode before so probably not. What is it?
0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The SH (SuperHub) has two modes :-

1. Router Mode, one stop fix for all ie Wifi / Firewall. Ideal for People who know nothing about networks.

2. Modem Mode, all features turned off ie NO Wifi / NO Firewall. Just connects to internet. You have to connect your own router to the SH.
You have to buy you own Router, and configure it yourself. I have had this setup for the last 5 years and had very few problems with Gaming.

--
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
0 Kudos
andyutd1999
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I see, thanks for the suggestion I will look into it :-) . Is this a problem for all major networks or just VM? It seems like something that they would want to fix given the huge amount of people who use the Internet for online gaming.

My laptop should be fixed in the next couple of days so if it will still be useful I can post my SH power levels then.

Thanks for your help :-)
0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Its the SH VM Provide its not fix for service for gaming.

--
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi andyutd1999

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read that you are experiencing issues with your broadband connection.

From checking your connection, the power levels are within the correct range and the network segment is running stable which is good.

Did you manage to try modem mode to see if the connection is any better? I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some more information in regards to this.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos