Menu
Gooders76
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Issues in the evevning

I have been with VM for many years now and in general have been very happy with my internet considering I have always had the lowest package. Have always used it for playing PS4 online and have never had any issues with what my children inform me is LAG. However for the past 6 months or so from 8pm onwards it is virtually useless. When I run VM's test it sometimes finds a fault and other times says there is no fault. As it is fine throughout the day can i rule out faulty equipment my end.

0 Kudos
Flanimal
Joining in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Issues in the evevning

Hi, have have you run Speed Test by Ookla? That will give you an idea what your download and more importantly, upload speed is. It's free and only takes a few seconds. Depending on your package, a good result would be anything from 60mbps download and at least 10-12mbps upload, it also tells you what ping you have, typically anything under 10ms is ok. The most vital result is definitely the upload speed, this is where lag can creep into gaming. Yo'll always notice a drop in speeds in the evenings, due to kids being home from school, people home from work etc.

I'm having  a terrible time with  my TV and broadband at the moment, there's a fault in my area which VM are struggling to fix, it's been over a week now and I've received £48 in compensation for partial lack of service. You've really got to keep onto them and demand to talk to a British operator, no disrespect to the overseas call centre, but the British CC's have a better handle on what's up in a specific area.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
mannyshere
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi personally I don't think the issue is that loads more kids etc are on the Internet in the evenings..... It's never been an issue before but since being upgraded or about the start of this year it's been an big issue for me... So unless there has all of a sudden been a massive surge of people going on the Internet in the evening it doesn't really solve the issue.

I have had major issues with lag, high pings and speeds on wired less than 30mbps and I am on the allegedly 152mbps plan! And that's always at the same time in the evenings into the early hours of the morning.... It's the same on the weekends fine during the day but horrendous during the evening... So I imagine there would be a whole lot more people on the internet during the day on the weekends so this makes no sense.

I have posted my issues on here already and yet await a response or assistance.
0 Kudos
sinister0208
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

I have this issue with VM myself. All my power levels are great and the connection is smooth during the day, however in the late afternoon and evening the connection seems slower and online gaming (PS4) is pointless due to lag. 

From what I know, this is happening due to VM oversubscribing people on their lines, because they seem to prioritise quantity over quality. Which is why when everyone in the area is on during the evening (after work/school) the connection throughput is slower and online gaming is horrendous. Moreover VM doubling everyone's speed has not helped this, as they are having to update their infrastructure in places to cope with it.

It is a shame I can't get BT Infinity in my area otherwise I would have moved, as my friend who lives a few miles away has no issue on his BT line.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: I do not work for Virgin Media, I just want to share what I know to help others. Information I share may differ from VM advice.

Connection info:

Superhub 3

Download: 100 Mbps
Upload: 6 Mbps
Local cabinet: End of my drive (5 metres)
Local exchange: 400 metres from my house
Power levels (downstream): 3 to 4 dBmV (16 channels)
Power levels (upstream): 42 dBmV
0 Kudos