Menu
ctownsend85
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Broadband High Ping Complaint

So I have been having rather high ping spikes while gaming on my internet connection. 

I have raised this with the customer support team only to be fobbed off with a multiple of reasons (my laptop has a virus, I am running too many devices (2), I have an outage in the area that will last for 3 months, etc).

After finally getting the issue raised onto another team I have been told that it is because I am using too much peer to peer file sharing software. Which is completely rediculous. I am an I.T professional and know exactly what I run on my laptop (which I have only had for a few months) and there is no file sharing software of any kind, just me gaming alot during weekends. 

My ping spike is getting rediculous to the point where I can sit and watch it go up to 200-300 for a long time and come down for a bit and then back up, making serious gaming impossible.

Has anyone else had any success getting this fixed? Or any kind of help ? If I dont get anything on here I'm cancelling my service. I've had enough.

0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband High Ping Complaint

The key phrase there is "Outage that will last 3 months.". That's call centre speak for "Your area is over utilised.". The 3 months will be the next review date for it. Review dates are just that, and not fix dates.

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.
0 Kudos
ctownsend85
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Its just one lie after another. Its such a shame because apart from this the service has been great. The customer support however - terrible.

Do you know if there is anything that they can do to maybe put me into a lower usage if I pay more or something? At this point I just want to play my game without rubberbanding all over the place.

pete7049
Well-informed
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The sales/call centre will assure you that if you upgrade your package, you will have no further problems. LIES!!! You'll still be on the same part of the network, with the same over utilisation. So, no, there's no way around it. You'll just have to wait for VM to upgrade your part of the network to fix the over utilisation.

pete7049
Well-informed
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No reply to Matey then VM? Prove me wrong.....

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello ctownsend85,

Thanks for joining the community Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear about the connection problems you're experiencing, along with the lack of support you've received. I've checked your connection and there is a fault in your area which causes sloe speeds. The fault ref is: F004848757 and it's due for review on the 12th July. While this is on-going you might notice your speed, especially peak time are reduced.

Sincere apologies for this, let me know if you've got any other questions.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Steveyboy1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I can't play my PS4 fifa game,(even though I bought a cat 6 ethernet cable) I have ping of 130ms,which is hilariousy bad for gaming. I'm not a full time gamer,so won't be upgrading to the Vivid 200 or whatever its called, as I don't expect to pay 32 a month and get better latency tethered to my Giffgaff always on goodybag. It's pathetic. I've been instore 3 times,posted questions on here,used the chat function (that never works,just makes you get more angry) So sick with Virgin already,as I never get any help or advice or anything...
0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The fact of the matter is when you are in an over utilised area nothing will help, upgrading speed won't fix it, the pings are caused by the equipment not having sufficient bandwidth to transmit all packets and then it gets buffered which causes the delays and packet loss, your only quick fix option is to go with another broadband supplier (if that's an option) virgin will be slow to fix this I have seen this take them 2+ years to fix, see if you can get FTTC with BT / alternatives using the lines they provide, it won't be as quick as what virgin could offer, but the reality is it will be quicker then what they actually deliver to you and VDSL has natively lower pings and is actually better for gamers
0 Kudos
ctownsend85
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This is the most ridiculous answer ever, your internet sucks but we will review it in 3 months.

I'm done with Virgin Media anyways, I'm going to find another provider and advising all my friends to do the same.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello again ctownsend85,

I completely understand this is frustrating for you and if there was more I could personally do to help, then I certainly would. I hope you appreciate this fault is beyond my control, I'll happily check for updates and keep you informed, but I'm not able to quicken up the process I'm sorry.

Thanks for your patience,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos