Menu
dankingdon
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Brand new SuperHub 3.0 soft restarts every half and hour

Hi,

Just upgraded to the new Vivid 200 Gamer package from the standard vivid 200.  To do so I needed to upgrade my old superhub 2.0 to the new 3.0.  Old hub has been on for years with no issues at all.

Installed and setup the new superhub 3.0 last night and it works great.  Except I now lose all internet connectivity approx once every 30minutes for around 1-2 minutes.  During which time I cannot ping or contact the modem and the lights on the front seem to indicate it is restarting.  

I am using the hub in modem mode connected directly to my own router the same as I had with the old Hub for years.  

Modem log does not show anything of interest to indicate what is happening and it thinks it has been up for 15hours as of right now.

2016-10-13 17:29:16.002417164308Unit has been restored to factory defaults from a software issued command;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;
1970-01-01 00:01:23.0084020200Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
1970-01-01 00:01:23.0084020300MDD message timeout;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
2016-10-13 17:38:42.0082000200No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
2016-10-13 17:43:23.0082000400Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Brand new SuperHub 3.0 soft restarts every half and hour

There is a known issue with the Hub 3.0 in modem mode when connected to an Arris CMTS where it "port flaps" at 34 minute intervals which drops the connection.

To find out if you are connected to an Arris CMTS look in the network log files on your hub for your CMTS mac address and then check your CMTS mac address here: http://www.wintelguy.com/

If you are connected to a CMTS made by Arris then go to http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping to set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM). You might need to change the settings on your router so that it is configured to respond to pings - the graph should then show the periodic and regular disconnections.

There is a thread where you can post your BQM to show that you have the issue and request trial firmware that appears to fix this issue:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Hub-3-0-port-flapping/td-p/3073985

Alternatively you could try using the Hub in router mode with wireless turned off and your third party router in bridge mode as a work around.

There is one other possible option, where you go back to using the SH2.  A few users have reported that if you call in and are persistent enough then support might be able to enable the Gamer tier on the old hub.  They will fight it as their systems are geared up to only allow Gamer on Hub 3s but there are reports on here of some success.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Arris own Cadant so you are on an Arris CMTS.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

All Replies
tintin_UK
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Look up the long thread in Networking called Port Flapping. That's very likely your issue if you're using SH3 in modem mode. The good news; you're not alone. The bad news: Virgin aren't being very quick sorting the problem.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is a known issue with the Hub 3.0 in modem mode when connected to an Arris CMTS where it "port flaps" at 34 minute intervals which drops the connection.

To find out if you are connected to an Arris CMTS look in the network log files on your hub for your CMTS mac address and then check your CMTS mac address here: http://www.wintelguy.com/

If you are connected to a CMTS made by Arris then go to http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping to set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM). You might need to change the settings on your router so that it is configured to respond to pings - the graph should then show the periodic and regular disconnections.

There is a thread where you can post your BQM to show that you have the issue and request trial firmware that appears to fix this issue:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Hub-3-0-port-flapping/td-p/3073985

Alternatively you could try using the Hub in router mode with wireless turned off and your third party router in bridge mode as a work around.

There is one other possible option, where you go back to using the SH2.  A few users have reported that if you call in and are persistent enough then support might be able to enable the Gamer tier on the old hub.  They will fight it as their systems are geared up to only allow Gamer on Hub 3s but there are reports on here of some success.

dankingdon
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the super quick and detailed response.  I have setup a broadband monitor just in case.  

My CMT is listed as CADANT INC. not Arris however?  

Disabling modem mode isn't an option for me sadly.  I will happily go back to using my old Hub however as I know that has bee super reliable.  

I will post in the other thread as well just in-case.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Arris own Cadant so you are on an Arris CMTS.

dankingdon
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ace,

All posted on the other thread and hopefully I can get some response.  I will try calling support this evening if I can as well to try that route.  I need my rocket league fix and this is ruining games for me Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
dankingdon
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just as an update. 

All fixed, I rung support and described the issue exactly, referenced the modem and the CMTS issue, told him about the other forum post.  He went away and had a chat with some people.  Came back and just activated the old hub for me.  plugged old hub back in and away I go.  Aparently no fix yet for the SH3 on this issue but advised I keep an eye on the topic and ring them once a proper fix is posted.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Glad to hear you have managed to get it sorted without too much hassle.  Slightly misleading of them to say there is no fix as all the people who have received the trial 9.116V firmware say it fixes the problem, but VM are not ready to put it on general release yet.

0 Kudos