Menu
Skarim5
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Brand new PS4 network issues

I currently have a ps4 from around the time it came with the infamous second son game. My brother has bought a newer ps4 in the last month. We currently have virgin fibre optic broadband up to 70mbs. Both are connected wireless. Each time i've tried to test my connection speed on ps4 (1) it seems to work perfectly, good internet speed at over 20mb/s. The only thing out of the ordinary with ps4 (1) is i purchased a samsung 1tb hard drive for it. The other ps4, ps4 (2) at each test gets less than 1mb/s. I honestly can't work out if this is an issue with ps4 (2) or the internet. I spoke to virgin customet services and they mentioned it due to the router not being able to support two gaming consoles. But the thing is only one of them is powered on at a time so i don't think this to be the case. And to make the situation more wierd, he felt ps4 (2) had major issues and returned in, had a new one given to him today and when testing thr internet. Again its come up to less than 1mb/s. Can anyone help me with this please?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Brand new PS4 network issues

The PS4 has been tweaked since launch, so if you have the one with the glossy panel on the case and your brother has an all matte case then he has the newer C-chassis version.  As far as I can tell there should be no difference in network speed between the versions, but they have rearranged the inside so maybe the wireless adapter is in a different place and isn't working as well.  I'm assuming we are talking about wireless speeds, yes?

Here is a review of the newer version of the PS4 and it lists the changes:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-playstation-4-cuh-1200-c-chassis-review

It is always best to use a wired connection with gaming consoles to prevent interference and reduce lag.  If the consoles are not near the hub then power line adapters are a good option. These use the electrical wiring in your house to create a wired network without the need for long cables.  They are rarely as fast as the manufacturer's claim but are a lot more stable and less prone to interference than wireless.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

Highlighted
Skarim5
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Brand new PS4 network issues

Sorry the issue i have seem to be between the wifi and the newer model ps4. The link you provided is the exact one my brother has which is the new model but what my issue is the wifi is giving its bandwitch to the first ps4 getting easily over 20mb/s however the second ps4 is getting less than 1 mb/s. Even though there isn't any other connections to the router. Have also tried setting up a dhcp reservation for the second ps4 which didn't help. But the issue is not the area of the ps4 or the router as the wifi strength is both over 70%. It seems to be a port forwarding issue or could be something i'm unaware of.
0 Kudos