Menu
Blitzbok
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Battlefield 1 High Ping Times

Hello Virgin Media

I have recently brought Battlefield 1 and have decided to have a go at playing the game online. Since Battlefield 1 is a first person shooter, quick reaction times are important. On the technical side this means that you would want a low ping (lag) time. Low ping means that your computer is able to 'talk' to the server quicker, allowing your input to be interpreted faster. Whilst the difference is small in terms of actual time and other factors such as skill and experience contribute, it could be the difference between winning and losing a game. This is why I wanted to contact you.

I have discovered, since December when I brought the game, that my ping seems inconsistent with the rest of the UK players. I get a ping of 70 upwards, when other players in the UK are getting a sub 40 ping. It is strange, because I believe that both my service, network setup at home and computer are setup to be conducive lower pings. Allow me to explain. I have your 200MBps broadband package and use your HUB 3.0 router. My computer is connected to the router via ethernet cable. When I play, I make sure that all the services on my computer that uses the internet are switched off, so that it does not draw on the bandwidth and therefore affect my ping. I make sure that there are no other devices active on the network when I play. My computer has the recommended specifications for the game and the drivers are updated regularly. As you can see, I have made an effort to ensure that the issue is not how my home network and devices interact with your service. 

I have read that the HUB 3.0 has technical issues which may contribute to my ping being low (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/03/intel_puma_chipset_firmware_fix/). I do not know whether the manufacturer has been able to resolve the issue or not. Could you inform me and other Virgin Media customers who are experiencing such issues? I have also contacted the Virgin Media Technical team who suggested I reset the router so that it can update to the latest firmware. This has unfortunately not resolved my issue. 

I am looking forward to your and other members response to the issue and possible solutions.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Re: Battlefield 1 High Ping Times

Hi Blitzbok, 

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see you have had trouble with ping times. 

I have taken a look and things seem to be ok from this side. I can see a slight increase in traffic in your area during the evenings but it should not be causing too much of an issue. 

What times are you noticing the difference ping rates or is it more of a constant issue? 

Keep me posted. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Blitzbok
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Hello Emma

I only noticed your reply now. Thank you for getting back to me. The issue is not time specific. I would play with people in the UK, using the same servers and my ping would be consistently be up to twice as high when compared to those players. For example, the overall ping of the server may be lower during quieter times, but I would still have a higher ping when compared to other players in the UK.
0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 4 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Hi Blitzbok - Can you tell me which server it is you are trying to connect to and where it is located.

It could be related to the route in which your traffic is taking. For instance, when I connect to a BF4 server hosted by Nitrado in London, my route will go from Manchester via Austria, Netherlands and Germany and then back to London. The round trip time artificially increases the latency you would expect to a UK/London based host.

The test for this is simple: Open a command prompt (type cmd in the run/Cortana search here box) and type the following command 'tracert 46.251.234.52'

Make sure you replace the IP '46.251.234.52' with the server you are trying to connect to - the IP I have used is our BF4 server.

Trace.PNG

Some things are clearer to determine than others but the last two hops (13 and 14) are the slowest part of the route.

I will produce another result using a BT business line to compare but for now run the trace and see what results you get.

It may also be worth visiting http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping and setting up a BQM that will show how your connection is performing over time with a simple graph.

0 Kudos
Blitzbok
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Hello Stormfury. DICE (the creators of Battlefield 1) has servers in Europe. These generally tend to be in the Netherlands. I would not know how to check what their IP address is, as the server is normally presented as a name, rather than an IP address. From what I can gather, there seems to be an issue with the router and higher than normal latency. What I do not know is whether that issue has been resolved or not.   

0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 6 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Blitzbok wrote:

Hello Stormfury. DICE (the creators of Battlefield 1) has servers in Europe. These generally tend to be in the Netherlands. I would not know how to check what their IP address is, as the server is normally presented as a name, rather than an IP address. From what I can gather, there seems to be an issue with the router and higher than normal latency. What I do not know is whether that issue has been resolved or not.   

Yes, I appreciate it's not easy to find the address and test that particular server. From what I know EA/DICE has deployed servers in each core locations across Europe. From what I remember they should have servers in closer locations such as Ireland and UK (London) and even if you are connecting to mainland Europe such as Germany or Netherlands you shouldn't be much over 40+ ms from my experience.

Are you playing on PC/X1/PS4? Do you have any other information that can help diagnose if the issue is related directly to your connection or if the issue lies outside of your local network be it VMs core network or part of the route to the servers you're playing on.

0 Kudos
Blitzbok
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Hello 

Thank you for trying to assist me Storm. There are servers in Ireland and in Germany, but not in the UK. The servers that present the lowest ping are mainly those from the Netherlands. I have given information about my setup in my original post. Here is what I found when I ran the route trace.

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 8 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Yes, needed to re-read the first post. I'll fire up BF1 when I get in from work to see which servers seem to have the lowest ping and post back as well.

Hopefully a VM rep can have a look at your specific connection to see if there are issues with your equipment or your area.

0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 9 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Just for your information, I've just had a look at my top results by ping using just a Europe filter.

BF1pings.png

0 Kudos
Blitzbok
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Apart from the fact that it is not showing Irish servers at all in my case, even though European servers are selected by default, the ping times during this time averaged 80 for servers in my case.
0 Kudos