Menu
WHumbers
Tuning in
Message 1 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Bad Ping/Latency and Virgin Support unhelpful thus far.

So i moved into a new house and bought the 100mbps package (using hub 3.0) because i just didn't want to have to deal with bad internet and low and behold, its still awful. 

So firstly the internet speed is fine and not a problem, however the ping and latency issues are unbearable. I primarily play competitive games such as CS where obviously ping issues are incredibly noticeable and can make it literally unplayable. Now because Gaming is still apparently taboo we'll just ignore gaming servers and focus on using Cmd. When ping testing bbc.co.uk or google.co.uk i can get upwards of 300ms and commonly above 150ms.

So i ended up calling VM a total of 4 times, each time they change something like MTU size, Channel or resetting it and then asking me to monitor any changes. None of it has had any affect sadly. I've also tried changing the Ethernet cable, using a different PC, using wifi, using Modem mode, testing ping with all other devices off.

I then booked a engineer to come round to check for faults, they 'concluded' that the internet was fine and there was nothing they could have done even though i literally showed him i was getting 300ms pinging bbc.co.uk. Instead he insisted they had to go off of internetspeedtest results which everybody knows is utterly crap for ping testing.Obviously the internetspeedtest ping showed as 5ms like it does every time on every ISP (probably why they use it...) then basically told me it was tough **bleep** and i had to deal with it. Then for extra salt, they ask me to recommend their service to friends.. good luck.

So now i'm stuck where i can't do the things i enjoy and there is seemingly no fix to my problem, and the whole fiasco has left me utterly disappointed and upset at my choice of ISP.

ss+(2016-10-19+at+05.26.39).pngss+(2016-10-19+at+05.27.55).jpg

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bad Ping/Latency and Virgin Support unhelpful thus far.

Maybe when you run
ping -t bbc.co.uk
you will see your ping go high and low at times?

If you tested with a PC to modem mode your ping should be low unless it did a download or upload and causing you to spike? You can install NetWorx to check the graph if something is active on your PC.
https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

0 Kudos
WHumbers
Tuning in
Message 3 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks for the reply

This is my results using ping -t

ss+(2016-10-20+at+03.11.29).png

So it remains high fairly consistently. Sometimes the ping is low (20ms average) and stable but other times of day it is like the photo shows, or worse. Using NetWorx i haven't seen any thing else affecting my connection

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi WHumbers,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

Sorry to read that you are experiencing high pings and latency issues.

I've checked your connection and there is an SNR (signal to noise ratio) fault in your area which is causing intermittent connection. The reference number is F004843525 and with a review date of 3rd November. Otherwise the power levels are within range and the traffic on the network is running low.

With the last ping test you posted was that whilst the Hub 3.0 is in modem mode

When you get chance create a Broadband Quality Monitor to check the performance/latency of the connection. If you do set up a BQM you will need to disable the firewall within the router settings. 

Do you get the same high pings when testing to the CS servers?

Let us know how you get on
Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
WHumbers
Tuning in
Message 5 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi Samantha, thanks for the reply.

No the screenshots were not recorded when in Modem mode. Tests in modem mode seem to yield lower latencys but can still be up to 100ms. What's unusual to me is that the ping fluctuates massively throughout the day, sometimes it can stay at a low 20ms but is often between 100-300ms delay.

I can run another test in modem mode if it's helpful, however running constantly in modem mode will not be a viable solution. Yes, the pings to the CS servers are also high, as most of them are based in Central Europe, the ping can be even higher.

I will also try runing BQM

0 Kudos
WHumbers
Tuning in
Message 6 of 33
Flag for a moderator

ss+(2016-10-29+at+09.56.06).jpg

Here is the Ping Graph, some of the time the ping is fine, but it can often spike up to unusable amounts. 

0 Kudos
WHumbers
Tuning in
Message 7 of 33
Flag for a moderator

1.jpg

0 Kudos
WHumbers
Tuning in
Message 8 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hmm whats worse? Virgin Media's response times or their service? It's a tricky one!

ss+(2016-11-07+at+11.57.47).jpg

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi WHumbers,

Thanks for getting back to me and posting your BQM graph, I appreciate it. Apologies for the late reply.

As I am unable to see any issues on the network that would cause this packet loss/latency issue, I would now like to arrange an engineer appointment to check this over for you. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please. Once you have replied I can go ahead with the appointment.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hello WHumbers

I am sorry you are still having problems I wonder what is going on. Area traffic does pick up a bit in the evening but does not seem to match your BQM graph times. We have had a few problems with the upstream intermittent FEC errors in the area, that has been clear for the last 24 hours by the way, how has it been for you?

At the moment I am able to ping your connection with good average return times, here is the result of 1000 pings:-

round-trip min/avg/max = 4/8/68 ms

If you have further problems it may be worth trying a traceroute from BQM tools to your own connection, may reveal where it picks up. Also if you have a moment please post the BQM graph live link as this helps us to monitor and contrast with our network data.

Many thanks

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos