Menu
Noam
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Avid Gamer, just signed up for docsis 200Mb

Have Sky fibre at the moment and have had zero complaints in the years I've had broadband with sky.

I'll let that sink in for a second, zero complaints.  The service went down once because some clown cut through a cable in the area, it was repaired that day.

The lure of 200Mb was too high, plus I'm sick of sky putting up prices while they fund multi millionaire premiership players and get adverts with blockbuster film actors (the new Xmen one made me boil up the same day I got my "prices are going up letter").  Most people I play World of Warcraft with had great pings - like 19ms with Virgin so I jumped to cable.

Then I logged onto this forum and its issue after issue after issue. 

Please guys, tell me your good news stories with Virgin for gaming/ping times.  Let me see a few "I play lol and have AWESOME pings etc".  Im planning to get into Overwatch in a big way and Roadhog's hook plus high ping would be a showstopper for me

No seriously, before I'm tied in for 18months.....speak up now

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Avid Gamer, just signed up for docsis 200Mb

take it you've not seen the amount of slow speeds, issues on sky's forum http://helpforum.sky.com/ to get a accurate rating/feedback you would need to have somebody use the part of the network. i used to be a avid gamer on virginmedia but no busy with other things and had the around the same ping 19ms +- 10ms.playing on WoW
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

take it you've not seen the amount of slow speeds, issues on sky's forum http://helpforum.sky.com/ to get a accurate rating/feedback you would need to have somebody use the part of the network. i used to be a avid gamer on virginmedia but no busy with other things and had the around the same ping 19ms +- 10ms.playing on WoW
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Noam,

I can understand your concerns but I should also point out that this is a help and support forum so the most common users will be those that have had issues and need help Smiley Happy 

I've been playing the Overwatch Beta for the last few days and haven't run into a single issue so far (apart from Bastion being a bit OP).

If you do start to see any issues be sure and let us know and we'll be happy to help Smiley Happy

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
tolikelis
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have just switched from 100mb virgin to 38mb sky. At the moment got both connected so done side by side online ping, latency and jitter tests and sky was better. Vm latency 40-43ms, sky latency 10-11ms, vm jitter 8-10 , sky jitter 1-2, vm ping 15-16, sky ping 9-10.
0 Kudos
Danuals
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Usual ping for me on wifi is 12ms, 18ms is the highest in the last few months. I am using the super hub in modem with my own router.
0 Kudos
matt_akira
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi mate, i was exactly the same as you, i mostly play cod and battlefield and previously on sky, the lure of 200mb internet sucked me in and spat me out, i only get 38mb constant? Upload is ok around 11-12mb (Which is what matters for streaming twitch) but the pings are all over the place, i have honestly the worst gaming experiences of my life this past week! i would honestly cancel virgin while you still can, Luckily i have only had mine for a week so i can still get out! Please stay with sky from fellow member to member haha virgin boast the best speeds but b***s**t pings thats all that matter in fps games or any online games, hope that helps haha or i hope you dont have the same awful time i have had. Cheers dude!, Matt

0 Kudos
oxonchris
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I have just switched from BT Infinity (37-8Mb Speedtest) to VM and only been on line less than a week and getting about 210Mb but then again I'm not that fat from a large VM cabinet. At the moment very pleased with the service & stability.....oh heck have I jinxed it? :-)

0 Kudos
steviegers
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Iv been with Virgin for years and I can honestly say I've had very few problems. Other than the occasional router reboots.

Its been that good that I'm scared to get my own router and mess it up plus I've no idea what router I should get.

Oh I'm on upto 200Mb I nerver really check my speed . I've been playing rainbow 6 siege and always seem to have one of the best pings 

0 Kudos
Noam
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Happy as Larry

Drops a bit when using wireless, but I've not hooked up my own wifi modem yet.

Are there packages available for greater upload?

0 Kudos
LeeFergo
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I must admit i get full speed most of the time but since i was upgraded from 100mb to 150mb the connection drops alot

What really does my head in is when im gaming playing fifa only to lose because my connection drops handing them the win

Im tempted to buy a router and just use the hub as a modem but i dont know if that would sort the crap i have been dealing with
0 Kudos