Menu
JillDuff
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Assassin's Creed Unity - Strict NAT PC

I want to play AC:U multiplayer but have a problem getting my headset to work. 

Hours of Googling and I think I have to change my router from Strict NAT to NAT2 and/or Forward Ports.

But I cannot find a set of instructions that suit my set up.   I have a PC running Windows 10 which is wirelessly connected to a Virgin SuperHub VMDG480. 

Could someone please give me Janet-and-John instructions on how to do this? 

Do I have to do the whole Forward Ports thing, or will just lowering the NAT level do?

Everything else is working fine - and I don't want to mess it up!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Assassin's Creed Unity - Strict NAT PC

Hi JillDuff

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear of the problems that you are having getting your headset to work with Assassin's Creed Unity

I've included a link here for some help with port forwarding.

Let us know how you get on and if this helps with the problem.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

JillDuff
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ty_S

Thanks for this.   I am waiting for some information back from UPlay as to what port numbers I have to stick in.

Isn't there any way I can just alter the router from Strict NAT to Medium NAT without doing the port forwarding thing?

Ta for your help

Jill

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi JillDuff,

The port forwarding is what will alter the NAT type. It's not like flicking a switch I'm afraid. 

The other option would be to put the device playing AC into the DMZ but as this is a PC I'd strongly advise against it. Once you have the correct ports just follow the link Ty provided and let us know how you get on.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

JillDuff
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks for the information.   Ubisoft have now sent me a link which is giving me

Game Ports

Inbound UDP: 3074

Outbound TCP: 80, 443

I tried the link Ty gave but unfortunately the images are missing.   Who do I contact to get them put back up please?

Also.   Linking to my PCs IP address.  Where do I find this please?   Googling I did notice some instructions about creating a new IP address when Port Forwarding...  Do I have to do this as well?

Many thanks for your help in all this.   It seems a real work up just to play a game.  

All the best

Jill

0 Kudos
Guybrush85
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jill,

Essentially the guys are pointing you down the right path.

With port forwarding, what you are trying to achieve is to allow traffic through to your PC on specific ports without opening it up to everything. The DMZ option John mentioned essentially passes everything through unfiltered, so being a PC brings a certain bit of risk and hence him advising against it.

So firsts things first, your PC will have an IP address. If this is something you assigned to it manually, job done, if not then you have 2 options.

Option 1.
Give your PC a static IP. Assuming your Superhub settings are default an IP address of 192.168.0.50, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and default gateway of 192.168.0.1 and the same for DNS. The reason why .50 is I'm going to assume you don't have 49 network devices, so the chances of that number taken are slim.

Option 2.
Reserve your PC's IP using a DHCP reservation. Unfortunately I don't have nice pic, nor a router to talk you through where the exact setting is, but if you connect to your router on 192.168.100.1, login and go to advanced settings, you should hopefully see a DHCP section. Opening this give you a few options, but what we're looking for is a list of clients. You should be able to select your PC from the list and add a reservation.
This will mean the IP of your PC will stay the same, like adding a static address, just doing it anther method.

Ok, so now you have your IP!

Now you need to find your way to the port forwarding part of the advanced settings on the Hub. Once again, I'm doing this blind so it may be vague.
You will get some boxes to type in.
The name can be whatever you like
The start and end ports allow you to put a range of numbers without multiple entries I.e 100 - 105, but you can just as easily put the same number in both boxes to just do 1 number.
Then you will get TCP, UDP or both together. Whilst less secure, for arguments sake it's easier to both.
Lastly the IP, well that's that IP you've either set statically or reserved on your router so won't be changing Smiley Happy

Now the port you want to add in there is that inbound 3074 port. The other 2 are both standard ports for web traffic and SSL traffic (secure web traffic). So should be ok I would have thought.

So long post, but get yourself a none changing IP, add that rule and fingers crossed you should get the NAT type you're after. Once you've done one rule, you can easily add and delete rules on new games that use other ports!

Hope this helps
--------------------------------------------------------
Look behind you, a three-headed monkey
0 Kudos
JillDuff
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Butler85

Apologies for this but you are dealing with Miss Thicky here!

First is setting a static IP address going to mess up anything else, because apart from not being able to play multiplayer in Assassin's Creed Unity everything else is fine?

And I have got stuck at the first fence trying to create a static IP address anyway. 

I have Windows 10 and this is what I am doing:

1. Right click Start
  2. Open Network Connections
  3. Right click Wireless Network Connection Virginmedia etc.
  4. Open Properties
  5. Highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
  6. Go into Properties

So far so good

I then get two tabs:

General – which currently is set to Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically

the other tab is Alternative.

Sticking with General - which I guess is the one to use?

Use the following IP address has 3 boxes to be filled in IP Address; Subnet Mask; Default gateway

Which you say I should set to

Give your PC a static IP. Assuming your Superhub settings are default an IP address of 192.168.0.50, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and default gateway of 192.168.0.1 and the same for DNS.

And the same for DNS?

But the two boxes I have under this heading are Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server, there are no boxes for IP Address; Subnet Mask; Default gateway.

So what painfully obvious thing am I missing please?

Thanks

Jill

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

The DNS server address only needs the IP address of the DNS server you wish to use.

VM's DNS Servers are

Primary 194.168.4.100

or

Alternative 194.168.8.100

or you can use Google's DNS servers.

Primary 8.8.8.8

or

Alternative 8.8.4.4

Guybrush85
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

It sounds like it would be easier for you to setup the DHCP reservation then. I found a nice youtube video that should help you through it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr46nhKhHI4

Essentially DHCP is what assigns devices on your network an IP automatically, what it does is gives that IP a lease time. Say the lease is 24 hours at 10 AM. When that time comes, if the PC isn't on it will add that IP to the pool again ready for something else to use.

Adding a reservation will just stop that process from happening and you will keep the same IP.

When I said "the same" for DNS, I meant put the router IP, although you can set a specific DNS like griffin has mentioned. 

--------------------------------------------------------
Look behind you, a three-headed monkey
0 Kudos
JillDuff
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Butler85

Watched video and have decided not to go down the DHCP route.   Mainly because I think I have my head on round the right way going through Win 10.

So.   I have done it.  I now have a static IP address using your:

Give your PC a static IP. Assuming your Superhub settings are default an IP address of 192.168.0.50, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and default gateway of 192.168.0.1

And Griffin's

VM's DNS Servers are

Primary 194.168.4.100

or

Alternative 194.168.8.100

Used validate on exit.   Got an automatic trouble shooter which reset a couple of things.  But everything seems to up and running.   I'll give it the rest of the day to go AWOL on me and then go for stage 2 - Port Forwarding.

Many thanks for your help in all this.   I'll let you know how I get on.

Jill

0 Kudos