Menu
dossdes
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Area 22 issue that started on the 6th December - huge latency problem

Morning all,

Now I am aware of the issues relating to the Puma 6 in the SH3 however prior to the 6th December I was reasonably happy with my max latency.

On the 6th December however all went pear shaped and it has been the same ever since.

If you see the photos below, the first one shows the impact on the 6th, the second is the current status as at today.

I have called Virgin who have run tests on the line and nothing is wrong. I beg to differ...

I use this line for working from home and we use VOIP a lot, it has also started to affect online gaming. Like I say, I have had the SH3 for a couple of year and whilst the latency issues were always there they have gotten much worse from the 6th December.

Any help greatly appreciated.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Images removed as they contain your WAN IP address. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
dossdes
Tuning in
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 22 issue that started on the 6th December - huge latency problem

393e89ac329b7a5d147ba13763ae9a497451154a-06-12-2017.png393e89ac329b7a5d147ba13763ae9a497451154a-21-12-2017.png

and again with photos removing personal details. thanks Mods 

1st picture is 6th December. Second picture is today

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I am also in Area 22, all seems ok to me. But I do have a SH2AC.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
dossdes
Tuning in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

you lucky man :-) in fairness up to the 6th December the service was manageable but since then it has been awful.

Would be great to get someone from VM to contact me and see if there is anything they can do.

Sadly I don't have Openreach in my area otherwise I would be jumping ship
0 Kudos
cje85
Super solver
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

They have probably added more downstream channels to your area. This helps reduce peak time congestion but increases latency on the Hub 3.

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

VM need to admit the SH3 is a disaster, and hope SH4 saves there bacon.

--
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
0 Kudos
dossdes
Tuning in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Just been on to support for an hour. they kept trying to fob me off saying it was my wifi or issues with PSN or other such nonsense.

He spoke to 2nd line support who said the same thing. They asked me to do a speedtest which I did and that was fine (it always is). I insisted they raise a complaint and reference the Puma chipset issue in the note. Expecting a call back within 48 hours although I doubt anything will come of it.

I really wish Virgin weren't so dominant in my area - don't get me wrong, the DL speeds are amazing but the latency is really starting to show itself much worse than it was.

fingers crossed. thanks for all the support guys

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Tell them you know other people in AREA 22. That are running fine on PSN. The overseas tech support read from a script, and are lost when they have to go off script.

Yes PSN has been slow in the past, but since the PS4 Pro came out PSN backend has got a whole lot better.

I game with my PS4 on wireless and have NO problems.

The SH3 is a disaster due to the intel puma chipset.

--
dossdes
Tuning in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Gooner, will do. Still awaiting a call, will be surprised if I get one this side of Xmas. Still if not then I will ring back and demand to speak to someone :0)

Merry Xmas all!!

0 Kudos
dossdes
Tuning in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Ok, latest on this. I had a call last night from the complaints team. The guy listened, ignored what I was saying and offered me compensation (30%) off my bill for 3 months as there is apparently an issue in my area... hmmm. I informed him I knew other people in area 22 who were having no problems at all with latency as they had a 2ac. I said if that was all he could do then please put me through to retention’s as I would like to leave.

He said he would ring me back today, no call as yet... watch this space