Menu
razerbug
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Anyone have World of Warcraft working with their own router?

Hi all - need recomendations on a router

For the last 3 months I've not been able to play WoW on our Virgin connection because the superhub has an issue with either the protacol or the packet size they use (varies depending on which VM tech I speak to). Virgin have finally admitted that this is a "known ongoing issue" - which I take to mean, after 3 months; "something we're not bothered about", and therefore something I'll have to work around myself.

I've heard from some people that putting the home hub in modem mode and replace the router with a 3rd party one. I tried this with a Asus gaming router, and while it definitly improved our overall internet/wifi performance, it actually caused WoW to be disconnected much more frequently.

As luck would have it, I'm having to replace this router anyway, so I thought I would see if any there is anyone here who has success getting WoW to work and ask what router you're using/would recomend.

Thanks

Chris.

0 Kudos
shauneeb
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Anyone have World of Warcraft working with their own router?

Worked fine for me & always have for WoW, pc online gaming no issues,youtube atm no issues, psn had issues changed my psn dns to googles dns & been fine ever since Smiley Wink

(superhub 1, firmware V2.39.02)

I did have an old linksys WRT54GL before that worked fine through my old ambit 250 I had at another address back in the day, even flashed it to give it more functionality,  I'd recommend a linksys router as it never gave me any problems ever but make sure you read the reviews on whatever you decide to buy, pro's con's etc. Smiley Happy

I know there is an on going issue with this but it hasn't effect me, just saying, hope it get resolved for you soon as nothing worse than paying the subscription & not being able to use it, wouldn't hurt Blizz either to set it so it only ticks the time off the subscription when you are actually logged in & playing Smiley Tongue

When you log into WoW as well disable the "optimize network for speed" as that will cause connection issues too.

all the best Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
razerbug
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for that, I was the same until recently... played wow on a VM connection since 2009, then the last 3 months it went to hell in a handbasket.

I hadn't heard anything about the "optermise for speed" thing, neither virgin or blizz' support have mentioned that, but I'll definitly turn it off! If it turns out to be that simple I'm going to bloody kick my own ass for not trying that sooner!

Cheers.
0 Kudos
razerbug
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

alas... "optimize for network speed" being off makes no difference Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
shauneeb
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried logging into the superhub & lowering the firewall setting to "low" instead of medium? Default at medium this can block things connecting & cause connection issues, also enable "IP Flood Detection" that should stop any flood attacks etc. also disable "Respond to ICMP echo requests sent to WAN IP" under tools/ping (as from what I remember some servers take longer to deal with it when it's on, & besides why would you want it on & your router replying to every random ping/scan/probe on top of everything else it's doing?)

It could just be the way we are routed from point A to point B, somewhere in between 1 of the "hop" servers could be the issue & not VM or Blizz.

If you have any 3rd party software firewalls or anti-virus check their settings make sure they are not interfering, disable them momentarily & try play?

Weird how it works for me & not others. Got me kinda baffled too, just throwing out a few suggestions hoping 1 might help.

Good luck, lok'tar ogar Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
razerbug
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hey

Yeah, I've tried a lot of these things, without any luck unfortunatly.

The "Respond to ICMP echo requests sent to WAN IP" is something to check though. It would have been nice if Virgin tech support had suggested any of these things on the numerous times I've spoken to them.

Cheers Shauneeb

oh and, Glory to the Alliance! Smiley Wink

EuroMegan
Dialled in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I am just about to get this game so hopefully there will not be any problems...lol
0 Kudos
razerbug
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I've played WoW on a VM connection since 2009 this is the first time I've had an issue, and it's only affecting some costomers by the sound of things. Fingers crossed it works for you.

Enjoy!
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Razerbug,

Sorry for the late reply. It does sound like this could be down to a problem over the network rather than anything specific to your hub or router if the settings shauneeb suggested have made no difference.

Could you run a traceroute to the server you play on and post it here for us to take a look at? 

P.S. Glory to the Alliance Smiley Tongue

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

shauneeb
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

You will probably find it's these at fault telia.net on a traceroute playing up, seen another post & it came back to me, it'll probably be a "hop server" they route you through causing the nonsense  Smiley Wink

0 Kudos