Menu
Richiev6
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Any problems (ps4)

i am due a change of service provider very soon and been reading the (not so great) comments regarding problems gaming online.  I have a ps4 and usually game most evenings however my question is....

are there any people on here (ps4) that are NOT experiencing issues gaming online and what is you set up.  Do you play via wireless connection or do you use an Ethernet cable.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Any problems (ps4)

I have the 200Mb service with a Superhub 2 in Modem Mode attached to a Netgear R7000 router.  I have my PS4 connected by Ethernet to the Netgear and have had no issues with gaming.  I'm just a casual online gamer, so I might not notice minor lag caused by the connection, or put it down to my poor gaming ability Smiley Wink

If you can use a wired connection with the hub you should be OK.  I think most folk go down the external router route for better WiFi performance, I did.  Also I've been at this cable broadband lark for 15 years, so I had to provide my own WiFi router in the past and have stuck with that route ever since.

All Replies
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes me, all works great for me on the VM200Mb service.

My Sig says it all.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
Richiev6
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Brilliant thanks for the reply, didn't really want to buy a separate router when have the hub and will only be getting the basic fibre package. But if get the package and doesn't work too well might go down the separate router option.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have the 200Mb service with a Superhub 2 in Modem Mode attached to a Netgear R7000 router.  I have my PS4 connected by Ethernet to the Netgear and have had no issues with gaming.  I'm just a casual online gamer, so I might not notice minor lag caused by the connection, or put it down to my poor gaming ability Smiley Wink

If you can use a wired connection with the hub you should be OK.  I think most folk go down the external router route for better WiFi performance, I did.  Also I've been at this cable broadband lark for 15 years, so I had to provide my own WiFi router in the past and have stuck with that route ever since.

sinister0208
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

In my experience, it really depends where you live. VM broadband in my area is terrible for online gaming in the evening due to VM oversubscribing people on their lines, because they seem to prioritise quantity over quality.

Which is why when everyone in the area is on during the evening (after work/school) the connection throughput is slower and online gaming is horrendous. Moreover VM doubling everyone's speed has not helped this, as they are having to update their infrastructure in places to cope with it.

It is a shame I can't get BT Infinity in my area otherwise I would have moved, as my friend who lives a few miles away has no issue on his BT line. You can always try it out to see if it works well for you, I think there is a 14 day cancellation period. 

Wired is always the best option, but if it is not possible to do so then look into powerline adapters. Wifi for gaming can be erratic.

---------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: I do not work for Virgin Media, I just want to share what I know to help others. Information I share may differ from VM advice.

Connection info:

Superhub 3

Download: 100 Mbps
Upload: 6 Mbps
Local cabinet: End of my drive (5 metres)
Local exchange: 400 metres from my house
Power levels (downstream): 3 to 4 dBmV (16 channels)
Power levels (upstream): 42 dBmV
0 Kudos