Menu
VegaNovus
Dialled in
Message 1 of 61
Flag for a moderator

An open letter to VM regarding Final Fantasy XIV

Howdy!

We seem to be getting a lack luster response regarding this on the forums (there are quite a few topics)

So I'd just like to send some details to the VM team on data I've captured regarding the constant disconnects to the Final Fantasy XIV servers.

A lot of VM customers that play FFXIV are receiving frequent disconnects at random times and at random intervals during the day.

The error that is produced in game is error 90002 - I've confirmed with the Square Enix support team that error 90002 is a client side disconnect error.

Error 90001 is an unknown disconnect error (so the game doesn't know where the disconnect occurred)

Error 90000 is a server disconnect error.

I've captured some data today from the FFXIV reddit community and quite a lot of people seem to be having problems with 90002 error code and are on Virgin Media, some are not.

I also decided to run a constant ping to the game server until the disconnect happens, pings are all good and respond around 100ms and when I get the 90002 error, the request times out.

I've been unable to capture a tracert of the disconnect as the disconnect happens so quickly.

I tried from the same PC from a different ISP (tethered to my phone) and the issue did not occur.

I changed my DNS to another provider and this did not resolve the issue.

I've factory defaulted my superhub2 twice and this did not resolve the issue.

I've used a completely different network card and switched between wired/wireless and this did not resolve the issue.

I've tried modem mode, this did not resolve the issue.

I did try to call your support regarding this matter and the support rep said he couldn't (wouldn't?) escalate my call to another team after going through basic steps with me for around an hour.

A few people from the FFXIV community are considering switching ISP's because of this problem as the problem does not occur on other ISP's currently.

I'm not quite at that level yet, but FFXIV is pretty much the only reason I use the internet (apart from Netflix) - but it's on the cards if it's not resolved soon.

Do you need any more information to resolve the issue?

Chalor
Tuning in
Message 2 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Re: An open letter to VM regarding Final Fantasy XIV

Seconded. Thanks for all the investigation you've done and for such a well-written post, VegaNovus.

VM, if you need us to collect any more information for you (using any tools you can provide that might help, for example), I think I speak for all of us having this problem when I say we're perfectly willing to help get this resolved. We'd really like our stable gameplay experience back.

0 Kudos
VegaNovus
Dialled in
Message 3 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, just have to hope that I get a just as well written response back and not just a copy/paste.

0 Kudos
VegaNovus
Dialled in
Message 4 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Just some more info, on the graph below, you can see tiny red blip's of packet loss - strangely enough this is when I'm being disconnected.

I've also found that my SuperHub recently updated it's firmware, that's when the drop outs to the game started occurring.

0 Kudos
Queinty
Joining in
Message 5 of 61
Flag for a moderator

I too, have been suffering from this for a week or so now - it's getting very annoying. I think my tracert says it all really, and I've tried all the usual 'have you tried turning it off and on again' solutions - the unresolved hops all seem to me to be under VM's sphere of influence. I've ran it a few times and it's only steps 2, 4 and 5 which timeout. This is the last one performed:

Tracing route to 199.91.189.106 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms routerlogin.net [192.168.0.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 26 ms 18 ms 11 ms exe2-core-2b-xe-132-0.network.virginmedia.net [80.6.128.209]
4 25 ms 18 ms 28 ms brhm-bb-1c-ae3-0.network.virginmedia.net [80.6.128.249]
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 25 ms 38 ms 28 ms brhm-bb-1b-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.106]
7 27 ms 29 ms 24 ms teln-ic-1-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.43.163.250]
8 31 ms 28 ms 28 ms m282-mp2.cvx3-a.ltn.dial.ntli.net [213.104.85.26]
9 22 ms 22 ms 26 ms be2163.ccr41.lon13.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.50.202]
10 39 ms 28 ms 28 ms be2391.ccr21.lpl01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.39.150]
11 105 ms 98 ms 98 ms be2384.ccr21.ymq02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.44.137]
12 99 ms 101 ms 108 ms 38.122.42.34
13 108 ms 99 ms 105 ms 192.34.76.10
14 107 ms 109 ms 110 ms 199.91.189.242
15 104 ms 118 ms 100 ms 199.91.189.106

Trace complete.

Sort it out please VM, you're better than this and I'd hate to feel you're betraying the trust of a customer who has been with you and lauded your praises to others for a great many years now.

0 Kudos
VegaNovus
Dialled in
Message 6 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Time outs at hops 3-5 usually occur anyway as this node receives so many icmp requests, it can't reply to them all but yes, it needs sorted.

A time out at hop 2 is unusual though.

If this has only been happening to you for a week, you're lucky - it's been happening to others for nearly a month.

0 Kudos
VegaNovus
Dialled in
Message 7 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Is anybody from Virgin Media going to respond to this, or do only the posts with obscene language and stupid demands get noticed?

Also, I borrowed an access point from work and put my "Super" hub in to modem mode.

Connected through the access point and didn't receive a single disconnect.

Clearly there is a problem with the new superhub firmware.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Hi VegaNovus,

Apologies for the late response. We've run some tests on the new firmware already that were inconclusive and the traceroutes all look perfectly normal. We are in the process investigating further and will keep you all posted on whatever we find. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
VegaNovus
Dialled in
Message 9 of 61
Flag for a moderator

John_G wrote:

Hi VegaNovus,

Apologies for the late response. We've run some tests on the new firmware already that were inconclusive and the traceroutes all look perfectly normal. We are in the process investigating further and will keep you all posted on whatever we find. 

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

I've been put through to your level 2/3 techs on the phone a few times and they have said they're experiencing a large volume of calls regarding the same topics over and over again (MMO gaming, VPN, VoIP specifically)

He's also said that the firmware is a complete re-write of the base code, so I don't expect it to be 100% functional, I just don't expect a response from the customer service team on the phone where they blame my equipment (I'm an IT professional, I know where the fault is coming from)

Also being a complete re-write of the code I understand that it is not 100% something that is in your control as it is a piece of Cisco kit, but I think your support team needs to understand that we are paying customers being affected by this issue and we won't stand for it if it goes on for the length of time that it has without much communication or at least an acknowledgement.

Several of your customers who are gamers have left VM for BT because of these issues (some of them being my friends)

Some more details though;

I borrowed a Draytek Vigor and plugged it in on Modem Mode and didn't experience any disconnects.

I've found a pattern with the disconnects in that they occur 7-9PM mainly, if it occurs tonight, I'll call up to speak to some 2nd line techs so that they can perform some tests.

I got some crazy disconnects last night.

Final note;

Is there anything you need from me that can help the issue to be resolved quicker?

0 Kudos
VegaNovus
Dialled in
Message 10 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Ty_S wrote:

Hi TorinNionel and everyone else in the thread,

We have noticed an increase in traffic on the forum regarding these issues. With the help of the community we have recently raised this up for investigation and will keep you all informed.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos