Menu
Dunk1970
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

An application I bought cannot access its online server

An application I bought a few years ago cannot access its online server anymore.

I last used this software (VoiceAttack) with no problems about 18 months ago and when I went back to use it, I found that it was asking me to register again. This is because the application cannot access the server to verify that I have already bought and registered. I have spoken to the vendor and he checked that the last time that the VoiceAttack application on my PC connected to his server was in June 2015. If I attempt to reapply the Registration Key, I instantly get the following error message on the VoiceAttack Registration wizard :-

Unable to contact server. Please try again.
Note: Make sure that your firewall and/or other internet security software is not preventing VoiceAttack's access to www.VoiceAttack.com

I have tried with both the Windows 10 firewall and my Avast anti-virus software temporarily disabled.

Does anyone know if Virgin Media blocks access to the above server?
Or perhaps it is my PC setup?

I'm on Windows 10 Pro and use the Super Hub 2 (v2.39.02) as a router.

Additional info : I can ping the VoiceAttack server from the router (which makes me suspect it isn't Virgin Media) but I cannot ping anything from the PC's Command Prompt, including 8.8.8.8 which just returns "General failure." responses. I can access the internet and even browse to the VoiceAttack server via Chrome and FireFox.

Any help gratefully received,
Duncan

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
SimpleSimon
Superfast
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: An application I bought cannot access its online server

I use this app and I am on Windows 10.  I have just loaded the app and done a check for updates and it comes back advising that there is an update.  So from my perspective I don't think this is a Windows 10 issue.

You mentioned that you are having difficulty pinging, is that still an issue ?

Also have you installed the current version which is 1.6.1 ?

0 Kudos

All Replies
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Dunk1970 wrote:

An application I bought a few years ago cannot access its online server anymore.

I last used this software (VoiceAttack) with no problems about 18 months ago and when I went back to use it, I found that it was asking me to register again. This is because the application cannot access the server to verify that I have already bought and registered. I have spoken to the vendor and he checked that the last time that the VoiceAttack application on my PC connected to his server was in June 2015. If I attempt to reapply the Registration Key, I instantly get the following error message on the VoiceAttack Registration wizard :-

Unable to contact server. Please try again.
Note: Make sure that your firewall and/or other internet security software is not preventing VoiceAttack's access to www.VoiceAttack.com

I have tried with both the Windows 10 firewall and my Avast anti-virus software temporarily disabled.

Does anyone know if Virgin Media blocks access to the above server?
Or perhaps it is my PC setup?

I'm on Windows 10 Pro and use the Super Hub 2 (v2.39.02) as a router.

Additional info : I can ping the VoiceAttack server from the router (which makes me suspect it isn't Virgin Media) but I cannot ping anything from the PC's Command Prompt, including 8.8.8.8 which just returns "General failure." responses. I can access the internet and even browse to the VoiceAttack server via Chrome and FireFox.

Any help gratefully received,
Duncan

The site loads up fine here so its not blocked by VM, are you using the most up to date version of the software, could just be an intermittent connectivity or routing issue so try again after a day or so

0 Kudos
Dunk1970
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Shane.

I can browse to the site, but the installed application can't access it. I've also run the VoiceAttack application as Administrator to see if that elevated the applications permissions, but no joy.

Having spoken to the developer of the product, people were able to register on the day I reported the issue to him. He also stated that his server hadn't had any downtime that day. I've also tried most days for the past week, as I attempt different solutions.

Apparently, my last successful login was the month before I upgraded my PC to Windows 10. 

Duncan

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Duncan

not familiar with that particular app but if everything was working before the upgrade to Windows 10 and hasn't worked since, then that suggests to me that Windows 10 is the prime suspect rather than anything on the VM network.  It wouldn't be the first app to be broken by Windows 10, or one of the Windows 10 updates that often seem to do more harm than good.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Dunk1970
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Scott. 

I do know that VoiceAttack does work on other people's Win 10 installations though. So, if it is my Win 10 set up, does anyone know what I need to change to allow this application to communicate back out to its server on the internet?

Duncan

0 Kudos
SimpleSimon
Superfast
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I use this app and I am on Windows 10.  I have just loaded the app and done a check for updates and it comes back advising that there is an update.  So from my perspective I don't think this is a Windows 10 issue.

You mentioned that you are having difficulty pinging, is that still an issue ?

Also have you installed the current version which is 1.6.1 ?

0 Kudos
Dunk1970
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes, after being unable to get past the registration pop-up, I wondered if I might need the latest version, so installed version 1.6.1 about a week ago.

This reset the 21 day trial period, so I can use it for another couple of weeks, but I'll be stuck again once the trial period ends.

I think I'll use this grace period to back up the command lists I've created in the software in readiness to do a full uninstall and reinstall of VoiceAttack.

0 Kudos
Dunk1970
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I just tried again and it accepted my validation attempt. The only thing to have changed is that the PC installed a Win 10 update today.

Thanks for all the replies,

Duncan

0 Kudos
SimpleSimon
Superfast
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Glad its all sorted.

As an aside what do you use Voice Attack for. I use it in Elite Dangerous.
0 Kudos
Dunk1970
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Same. I'm a returning after a break. I'm guessing I'll have a few fixes and updates to make to my VoiceAttack profile.

0 Kudos