Menu
Tuning in
Message 51 of 58 (183 Views)

Re: Amazing ping with VIVID 200

The virgin hub at the moment is just modem mode, the ethernet cable from the virgin hub is connected to the netgear router and once it booted up I did the settings that you can see in the pictures!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 52 of 58 (174 Views)

Unfortunately it looks like you can't limit download bandwidth with the R7000 QoS feature (other than reducing wifi speed via the mode setting, which isn't the same thing). 

Dynamic QoS only comes with the Nighthawk X4, X4S, X6, or X8 routers.

So I'd return the R7000 and buy a Netgear R7800 X4S or Asus RT-AC3200, which are about the same price. Yes it's more money, but you get what you pay for and decent QoS is a premium feature.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 53 of 58 (173 Views)

[ Edited ]

Lod1996 wrote:

Quick question what should I change? The Mode or the Transmit Power Control on to the wifi people? So they dont use all my speed? Thanks 

The wifi mode controls the maximum speed that a SINGLE device can connect at. Even if you limit this value, several devices together could still gobble all the bandwidth (e.g. 4 devices using 50Mb each). Because it doesn't allow you to control the total amount of bandwidth used, like QoS does. So the only thing you'll get from reducing this value is complaints from wifi users.

Same thing with wifi power. All you'll do is make the wifi more unreliable. Equals more complaints.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 54 of 58 (163 Views)

So back to where we started!? How do I make the virgin hub main router again? So I'll return the netgear that I've purchased !?!?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 55 of 58 (161 Views)

Http://192.168.100.1

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 56 of 58 (146 Views)

[ Edited ]

Lod1996 wrote:
So back to where we started!?
An R7000 with some QoS is going to be better than just a Hub 3 on its own, but not as good as Dynamic Qos / Adaptive Qos from Netgear / Asus. How was real life use during the time you had it? Ignoring the tests.
How do I make the virgin hub main router again?
https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...
So I'll return the netgear that I've purchased !?!?
Your choice. You haven't given any feedback on real life usage with the Netgear, so can only advise on its capabilities.
Thanks

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 57 of 58 (92 Views)

I just received the super hub 3 and I am about to upgrade to the gamer package. Do I still have to change the old router settings? Or the new one will work as normal, as I want to try it without the netgear router that I bought.

Many thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 58 of 58 (90 Views)

[ Edited ]

Lod1996 wrote:
I just received the super hub 3 and I am about to upgrade to the gamer package. Do I still have to change the old router settings? Or the new one will work as normal, as I want to try it without the netgear router that I bought.

I have no idea what you mean by that question and statement.
If you're using a Hub 3 on its own then there are no settings you can change that will affect latency, jitter, or gaming performance.
New hub's don't work as normal straight away, you have to activate them by calling a number. Otherwise the old hub will still be usable.
Just a warning, the Hub 3 is not exactly known for its gaming friendly performance. 
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/03/virgin-media-prep-firmware-fix-superhub-3-latency-packe...
As always, you should go by what real world experience you have, not by news reports or what tests show as some people game fine on the Hub 3, however I thought it worth mentioning.
Before you ask, yes, it is possible for the 200Mb tier and gaming tier (200/20Mb) to work on a SH2 or SH2ac, but customer service can only apply it in the first instance to a Hub 3. From then on its a struggle to get someone to reactivate the old hub with the new tier, but it is possible.
None of this will make any difference to bufferbloat, which is a problem on all Docsis hubs.
0 Kudos