Menu
Fibre optic
Message 21 of 58 (174 Views)

Re: Amazing ping with VIVID 200

Lod1996 wrote:

By the way I see your internet provider is VM as well, how comes you get 333.18Mbps download speed? Are you using the VM Gamer?

Result test: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/11711764

Im on Vivid 300

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 22 of 58 (169 Views)

[ Edited ]

Lod1996 wrote:
So overall, is the routers fault that all these issues are taking place!?

Yes and no. It's really a combination of people's lust for more bandwidth, increase in buffer sizes to accomodate higher speeds, design of TCP/IP protocol, differences between cable networks (VM, Comcast etc) upstream capability and XDSL networks (BT, Sky etc).

The amount of bufferbloat will vary from one VM user's connection to another. I get an F result, while others get a C result. Comcast (in America), also being a cable network has similar issues to VM, even though they're using different models and brands of routers/hubs. But the technology and protocols used, Docsis, are the same between Comcast and VM. All cable networks have shared upstream channels between hundreds of users in an area, and that doesn't make it very good for low latency/low jitter applications, like gaming.

Whereas on BT/Sky, less people may experience bufferbloat but it can still be an issue for their users.

Superuser
Message 23 of 58 (169 Views)

starsky135 wrote:
Pretty much.

If you're using the SH3, you might not be aware of the current firmware issue affecting Intel Puma 6 devices:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/03/intel_puma_chipset_firmware_fix/

That's an additional issue to normal bufferbloat.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 24 of 58 (160 Views)

Okay, so now taking in consideration the fact that I will change the router. I see that no router actually has that port where you plug in the white cable that comes from the VM socket!? What am I suppose to do at this point!?

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 25 of 58 (156 Views)

Lod1996 wrote:

Okay, so now taking in consideration the fact that I will change the router. I see that no router actually has that port where you plug in the white cable that comes from the VM socket!? What am I suppose to do at this point!?

You use your existing VM router , but put it into modem mode only

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
Superuser
Message 26 of 58 (150 Views)

[ Edited ]

Lod1996 wrote:

You still need a cable hub to receive a cable broadband signal and Virgin don't allow any modems but their own on their network. The 3rd party routers (Asus etc) suggested in this thread don't have cable modems inside, so you need to connect them to the VM hub, but put the hub into modem mode:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

Which is undoubtedly what @pyrotenax does, in order to use QoS, as the VM hub's don't have a QoS feature that people can manually enable.

Tuning in
Message 27 of 58 (143 Views)

Then at that point if I will be using both at the same time what will be the difference ? As I will just be plugging the Ethernet cable from vm hub to the new router!? Sorry for all these questions but at least trying to learn how everything will work! And thanks for your time guys I truly appreciate that!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 28 of 58 (138 Views)

[ Edited ]

Lod1996 wrote:
The hub on its own is like a roundabout with no traffic lights. The packets from your ethernet connected computer and the wifi connected computers get equal access around the roundabout to/from the VM network. Your gaming packets get queued up behind everybody elses packets and have to wait. Which is what you complain about, when the wifi makes your latency go crazy because there are too many packets from your families streams getting in the way of your packets going through the roundabout.
Then at that point if I will be using both at the same time what will be the difference ?
With a good QoS featured router that becomes the roundabout, with traffic lights for each type of traffic (and the VM hub is just a modem), where the packets from your game are prioritised over packets from the wifi connected devices doing streaming/downloading. Also controlling the amount of bandwidth applications use to only use 80-90% reduces the amount of dropped packets and reduces the latency closer to normal levels, because the pipe and buffers are no longer getting full. So everybody should get a better connection.
https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1010935/
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1010933/
As I will just be plugging the Ethernet cable from vm hub to the new router!? Sorry for all these questions but at least trying to learn how everything will work! And thanks for your time guys I truly appreciate that!

The NetDuma goes even further than that:

https://netduma.com/why/for-gamers/

Superfast
Message 29 of 58 (125 Views)

It's definitely worth looking at what is out there as well, the NetDuma is good but it isn't perfect.

I'm looking at picking up the Ubiquity Edge Router Lite as it can do a lot more than what you would typically expect and from the reviews it seems can outperform and is more stable than some instances of using NetDuma's solution.

One of the key things for me is the ability to be able to create multiple wan connections should I need to, it's something that I have been considering for a while now and the ER Lite seems to be one of the better options to consumers.

Tuning in
Message 30 of 58 (120 Views)

Alright I get it! Your example was just perfect to make me understand how it works! I will leave this conversation open if possible and I'll update you in few days as I will buy the router very soon.

Thanks once again
0 Kudos