Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 58 (402 Views)

Amazing ping with VIVID 200

So, dear community, 

Been with Virgin Media for ages now however in the past year started hardcore gaming and live streaming. I am using VIVID 200 and I was hoping that with that kind of speed I can have few devices connected to the internet and while I am plugged in through ethernet cable not to bother me at all. But it seems like it's actually bothering me really badly. 

If my parents are streaming anything or if I have more than 3 devices to the internet at once then I start lagging whenever I play CS:GO, League Of Legends, H1Z1 and all the other multiplayer games I play. Of course, if I am lagging just in the game it means I won't be able to live stream at all 'lmao'. I am going, to be honest, that I am 100% frustrated with the service that Virgin is providing me at the moment. Other internet providers such as Sky, Vodafone etc. they don't seem to have that kind of issue as I've got few friends that have different providers and have no issue at all with more than 5 devices connected and used at the same time. 

Any solutions that you can think of? Or should I just change provider?.. Anything is welcome. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Fibre optic
Message 16 of 58 (476 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Lod1996
‎09-03-2017 20:31

Re: Amazing ping with VIVID 200

MUD_Wizard wrote:

Bufferbloat is what you need to be aware of, when you have multiple devices downloading or streaming from your hub at the same time:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17883

Run this test by selecting 'cable': http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

As @stormfury2 said, getting a 3rd party router with QoS is the fix for that. e.g. Asus RT-n66u and upwards. The Asus ac87u has more flexibility.

The second thing to be aware of is when you're uploading without the Vivid 200 Gamer package (you said you have Vivid 200), then you'll be subject to traffic management on the upstream. This means if you go over these thresholds then not only will your upload get slowed down, but your connection will be de-prioritised and your latency will increase: https://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy-thresholds.html

Remember that downloading or streaming netflix also uses a little bit of upload, which added to your upstream stream and your game traffic, depending on the quality you're using, may trigger traffic management. Something to consider.

Without QoS settings turned on ....

BufferbloatBufferbloat 

With QoS settings turned on ...

Bufferbloat goneBufferbloat gone

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Dialled in
Message 2 of 58 (398 Views)

What type of speeds are you receiving (and response times) when you test the connection with only one device connected (via cable) ? - Are you actually getting speeds near 200Mbps ?

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 58 (390 Views)

Yes, I do get speed close to 200 and the upload speed from 5-9 however in-game with Ethernet cable I've got more than 50 ping or ms whatever you want to call it and trust me is a different playing from 25/35 to 50+ . Especially when trying to live stream.
0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 4 of 58 (379 Views)

It's likely this could be solved by using a feature called Quality of Service or QoS.

I don't recall QoS being available on the VM devices they send yo uso if you're serious about streaming I'd suggest picking up a third party cable router that has the function.

I've seen very good reviews of the Ubiquity Edge Router Lite - see here for the review and comparison of a couple other devices. Also here is a setup guide.

I personally use the Linksys WRT1900ac with QoS set to device preference (my PC/PS4/XB1) you can change them easily and quickly if you need to as well, though the Linksys does most of the QoS automatically, I don't think you can set manual limits like on the Edge Router Lite.

Without knowing your hardware setup this may also introduce perceived latency and additional overheads when streaming. It's not as bad as previous but you still need a good CPU/GPU combination to get better results, I think there will be plenty of more detailed guides to get the best out of your streaming but I personally wouldn't stream with less than an i7 CPU from the recent generations especially if you're using software to encode which is pretty CPU intensive too.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 58 (366 Views)

To be honest I am not looking forward to buy anything else as everything needed is there. In terms of the hardware is for hardcore gaming. i7 6700K, nvidia gtx 1080, gaming motherboard and so on. So yh is just my connection that is messing up!
0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 6 of 58 (359 Views)

If you want to have that uninterrupted connection you will need something with QoS otherwise you connection will treat all traffic as equal and that will cause your gameplay/streaming to be affected.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 7 of 58 (355 Views)

However again, other friends of mine that use other services they don't use any other router in order to do gaming or live streaming!? See where I am getting?
0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 8 of 58 (352 Views)

Yes, there should be no need to get additional equipment.  The service you get should be more than sufficient using the supplied equipment.

What results do you get from a regular speed test (via www.speedtest.net) at both peak and off peak times ?

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 9 of 58 (349 Views)

Speedtest most of the time is around what I was told I will get, however bare in mind once I do my online gaming the servers are not in UK. They are around Europe.
0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 10 of 58 (348 Views)

It would be worth trying the speed tests for other locations - You can choose from any of the speed test locations around the world.

I'm just wondering if the issues are more related to the servers you are connected to rather than your connection.

-

0 Kudos