Menu
JLeizert
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

[All Games][PC] Severe Ping Spikes

For about the past month or two i've been getting really random ping spikes both minor and severe before this started happening my ping was around 30-40 and now it's lowest point is around 50 and then can spike to around 100-200, tried reseting the router which does nothing and other fixes all of which have made no difference( Most of the fixes i tried were to see if it was something to do with my PC or windows 10)

0 Kudos
MaTT94
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: [All Games][PC] Severe Ping Spikes

Hi J,

Can you run a ping to google [ping 8.8.8.8 -t] overnight? In the morning, if you press Cntrl+C it will cancel the ping and provide data on how many packets have been sent, average latency & packets lost. We need to isolate what the actual issue is - whether it's packetloss or latency. 

Please also run virus scans on your computer to ensure there's nothing that's messing with the network.

Can you also confirm what you're using to connect to the router? Are you connected via CAT5/ Powerline adapter or If wireless, are you using a wireless USB or wireless card? 

0 Kudos
JLeizert
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 39530, Received = 39525, Lost = 5 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 305ms, Average = 45ms

Im using a wireless card

and these are the ping spikes i was talking about even though it doesnt really show from the ping test (of which are actually pretty common).

http://imgur.com/a/JYWb6

http://imgur.com/a/DTOQc

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Before MaTT post back, can you try again from a wired connection? thus eliminating the wifi
0 Kudos
JLeizert
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Not going to be able to do that atm since that would mean moving my pc downstairs so its near the router and on top of that i would have no where to set it back up near the router Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
MaTT94
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi J,

Based on the pattern of drops you may have a REIN [recurring electrical interference noise] fault. Do you have a radio you can take around to check for any devices that may be interfering with the signal? 

Can you also check a laptop connected via CAT5 in to the router to determine whether the wireless channel is poor? 

If the fault is REIN, you may need to move the router or devices in it's general area that can be interrupting the signal.

There's no packet loss which is a good thing.

Can you also log in to the router and send a local ping to your computers IP?

Cheers

0 Kudos
JLeizert
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Pinging XXXXXX with 64 bytes of data.
Ping Statistics :

Number of Ping Packets Sent : 5
Number of Ping Replies Received: 0
Number of Ping Replies Verified : 5

Going to try a wired connection to the router from my PC later as i've got work soon. Could you list some devices etc. that would most likely be the cause for interference because i'm struggling to find what the cause of the interference would be and this might be a stupid question but even if the device is off would it still interfere with the connection? because i've turned literally everything off downstairs by the socket that i think would be the reason for the interference and nothing changed. will also re-locate the router later aswell to see if that makes a difference. 

0 Kudos
MaTT94
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi J,

Anything can cause interference, even if it's powered off. 

When I first moved out on my own I had extremely poor internet service on a BT fibre 80/20. I'd had 4 years experience working with broadband at this point but could not figure out what was causing it. I was getting like 3.0 mbps

Turns out it was because of a radio I had next to the router.

Moved it - 80mbps download since.

0 Kudos