Menu
N3CR0M4NC3R
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Advice for streaming and possible traffic management/throttling

Hi guys,

Relatively new customer here having finally got connected in a freshly fibred area [south leeds] and am now sitting on a lovely 200mbps package,
My question is in regards to the traffic policy that virgin utilise for upstream.
I have a fairly hefty rig that manages all my games at 1080p and 1440p and was intrigued as to other peoples experiences when streaming via twitch and youtube gaming etc,

I'd most likely be using OBS and streaming up at 1080, possibly 720 depending on the nature, pace and style of the game i am playing,
I was wondering how likely i would be to be put onto the traffic management and what sort of impact it would have on the stream quality giving that virgins upstream maxxes out at 12mbps which is well below what i could have theoretically got over fttc with NO throttling on BT/Sky etc  [19mbps upstream]

Also in regards to the upstream though i know it most likely wont be disclosed are there any plans at all for the upstream to be boosted on the top tier package?
I know i sound a little ungrateful and trust me i'm not the 200 down is AMAZING and a lifesaver for downloading my items via steam, origin and gog but the upstream just seems so puny in comparison..

Many thanks,
Dan

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Advice for streaming and possible traffic management/throttling

Here is the VM

Traffic management policy

Click on the Thresholds tab.

0 Kudos
N3CR0M4NC3R
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

wow.. so a 2.2gb limit on upstream and then im cut to half of my upload bandwidth?
Brilliant

See if i had known this before signing up i doubt i would have gone ahead and placed my order,
that does seem rather strict and problematic for people who are youtube partners/content creators

So in sense of that if i don't want to be effected in any way i'll have no choice but to have to do all my streams either early morning or AFTER 11pm?
Not saying that isnt doable but its really not what i am used to having jumped ship from sky where i had no trafficking rules to a provider where i hoped to get more bandwidth only to see it being managed in an overly strict way..

Cheers for the info i guess,
got a major thinkup to do as to whether i cancel my services or not

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

streaming up at 1080p to just twitch you will need around 4Mb upload so even if you get throttled from 12Mb to 6Mb its enough however the bandwidth may not always be available to you given that its shared upstreams.

You can test here by clicking Twitch and 1080p and it will do a upload steam test.
http://www.dslreports.com/tools/streamtest

0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

N3CR0M4NC3R wrote:

wow.. so a 2.2gb limit on upstream and then im cut to half of my upload bandwidth?
Brilliant

See if i had known this before signing up i doubt i would have gone ahead and placed my order,
that does seem rather strict and problematic for people who are youtube partners/content creators

So in sense of that if i don't want to be effected in any way i'll have no choice but to have to do all my streams either early morning or AFTER 11pm?
Not saying that isnt doable but its really not what i am used to having jumped ship from sky where i had no trafficking rules to a provider where i hoped to get more bandwidth only to see it being managed in an overly strict way..

Cheers for the info i guess,
got a major thinkup to do as to whether i cancel my services or not

Dan,

The 300Mb Homeworks package has no upstream restrictions. 20Mb all the way.

0 Kudos