Menu
heorogar
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Activate Vivid 200 Gamer on SH 2AC instead of SH 3

I've just signed up for an upgrade to Gamer from Vivid 200 and received a Super Hub 3. I already have a Super Hub 2AC.

However, I had a look around and I see the latency issues from the Intel Puma 6 chipset inside the SH3 (and many other devices.)

Since I upgraded for games I don't want to have terrible latency whilst awaiting a firmware update, so please can I have the Gamer service activated for now on the existing SH 2AC?

Cheers!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Fishpan
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Activate Vivid 200 Gamer on SH 2AC instead of SH 3

If you call up Virgin customer services and select the option about a fault with broadband, you will get through to a member of the technical department. They will be able to activate your SH2ac with Gamer 200/20 without any worries (as long as its yours and not bought off a 3rd party seller). The whole process takes around 5 minutes. 

All Replies
Fishpan
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you call up Virgin customer services and select the option about a fault with broadband, you will get through to a member of the technical department. They will be able to activate your SH2ac with Gamer 200/20 without any worries (as long as its yours and not bought off a 3rd party seller). The whole process takes around 5 minutes. 

heorogar
Tuning in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

But I'm allergic to call queues! :-)

Thanks - I will give it a try.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

The VM activation system is not able to activate the gamer tier on your account with anything other than a Hub 3.  However there is anecdotal evidence on this forum that some users have persuaded VM to roll them back to their SH2ac after activation to get the benefits of the gamer tier without the drawbacks of the Hub 3.

It is also worth noting that although everybody with the Hub 3 can post BQMs showing higher latency, not all of them are experiencing noticeable in game lag.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
heorogar
Tuning in
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thing is I'm not prepared to take the risk of borking my connection. The bug affects all Puma 6 devices, though I accept not everyone notices, I'd rather roll back to regular Vivid 200 and not waste time troubleshooting.

I use it for work too - interactive stuff - so don't want to make things harder for myself!

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

SCA1972 wrote:

The VM activation system is not able to activate the gamer tier on your account with anything other than a Hub 3.  However there is anecdotal evidence on this forum that some users have persuaded VM to roll them back to their SH2ac after activation to get the benefits of the gamer tier without the drawbacks of the Hub 3.

It is also worth noting that although everybody with the Hub 3 can post BQMs showing higher latency, not all of them are experiencing noticeable in game lag.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I am one of those users, i was sent a shrub3 when i upgraded to the 200 gamer, i had a few issues with it and cited a security issue i was extremely unhappy with and just flat out told the indian rep to put my SH2 (non-AC) back on my account, which they did, i get the full speed, no upstream traffic management and no shrub3 headaches, the only issue i have is when this hub2 eventually kicks the bucket i will essentially be screwed, hopefully there will be a new device before then or maybe VM will actually have fixed the issue

0 Kudos
heorogar
Tuning in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Called up and changed it no problem. Have to return the Hub 3 but presumably will be able to get hold of a new one once they are fixed (assuming they can be, seems like it's taking a long time for Intel to come up a new firmware.)

0 Kudos
nad223
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

hi

i have re ordered hub 2ac back with the issues that everyone is havening with the hub 3. all i want to know is will the hub 2ac work properly with 

the 200mb gamer package please.. also if you have the hub 2ac what speeds are you getting on it aswell please.

thanks

i await ur reply.

0 Kudos
heorogar
Tuning in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Yes the 2AC works fine with 200 down 20 up - which is the gamer package. The avoidance of traffic shaping requires no special hardware.

The Hub 3 works with much faster speeds that I guess VM hope to deliver in the future, but I can't say what the top speed of the Hub 2 AC is.

nad223
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

thank you...

0 Kudos