Menu
WilliamSpiller
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

500 Ping all through the day

I have been having trouble with internet for gaming since I started in University. Last year I was unable to play at all because of a constant ping of around 700. This year it was a little better with some days being find and other not so much. Even on good days I get lag spikes alot of the time which makes it really hard to play. Today, however, my ping has been on around 500 all day and all games are impossible to play online. Ringing in to customer service was no help as they told it would be fixed in a few months (which didn't happen) and also that the high usage in my area would result in bad connection (Sorry to be rude but the phone customer service for Virgin is some of the worst I've ever experienced). I am currently paying for 100 MB of download and am getting 2 or 3 MB on good days. I don't think this is acceptable and I'm looking for a fix before I turn to another alternative provider.

0 Kudos
WilliamSpiller
Joining in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: 500 Ping all through the day

I have just tested my internet using speedtest.net and have a ping of 18 and a download of 50 (which is unusual for my internet). However, when I check my ping in game (and on other apps i.e. Discord) it says I have a fluctuating ping from 300-400.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: 500 Ping all through the day

Hi WilliamSpiller,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read you are having issues with your broadband speeds. I can imagine how frustrating this must be.

From checking your connection, the downstream power levels are too high and for this I would like to arrange an engineer appointment to adjust these for you. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos