Menu
kato900
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

5 months and still no fix.

I'm so tired of Virgin right now... Every night at 5pm, until 12am I get a high amount of packet loss that makes it impossible to play, impossible to watch streams, impossible to watch youtube, my internet is irrelevant. I managed to convince VM there was an issue after half a year of constantly calling, then I finally get them to admit it, and they tell me the fix will take 5 months.... 5 months of internet useless for 8 hours a day. It's the month where it is supposed to be fixed, I've phoned twice this month and asked for the ETA, I get told it will be one by the 30th, but I have such a hard time believing it. I look at the service status for my area, and no issues are found, then I do a status test, and boom, what a surprise, a issue.So shady it's unreal. I've had to quit CS due to not being able to play/prac/scrim at the right times... I could be on semi pro teams right now... It's so frustrating.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/cd44fb8f51867e5f1991348084bceec3.html

Just look at this **bleep**. What a joke. If anyone at VM can tell me anything more about my situation, and help grasp why this is taking so long, and how it can be justified, I would be grateful./endrant

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: 5 months and still no fix.

Hello kato900,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear about the slow speeds and packet loss you're experiencing right now, I know this is really irritating, especially if you're a gamer.

I've taken a look at I can see the fault in your area under ref: F004507492 which is due for review on the 15 Feb. This type of fault can be responsible for reducing the speeds during peak times (evenings and weekends) and to rectify this we need to undertake upgrades on the network to support the level of demand in your area. 

I do apologise for this, I know it's not the best of news. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

kato900
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Due for review on the 15th of Feb? Please tell me that does not mean expected to be fixed on the 15th, because I was told the 30th 4 times this month. And if it the case that this is gonna take another 3 months, after I have had to deal with this for a year, I'm swapping ISP's. I'd rather pay for more for less and have an internet connection I can actually use. This is insane. How can this be even legal. 

0 Kudos
Smogger
Dialled in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Kato900 - I wouldnt expect a fix in Feb,  VM are a complete joke.  Read the posts in here, many people on here wait 2 years.

0 Kudos
kato900
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yup, I called. Feb is the new estimate... I've waited 5 months for them to fix it, now they want an extra 3 months, and I had to call them like 10 times a month for a year just to get them to accept there is an issue. It's putting me in such a **bleep** position. I need a stable connection, I'm heavily reliant on my internet, but I don't know any other providers that are reliable. I would change in a heart beat, but BT you're paying more for half the speeds I get now, and I run the risk of having the same issues and then getting stuck in a contract... I play competitive counter strike at a high level, but cannot commit to any teams because everyone scrims/pracs after 5pm, that's when I get a ton of packet loss. I could have a career out of this if I didn't have to deal with this crap. I just don't understand how I called 4 times this month, and asked them to confirm it will still get fixed this month on the 30th, every time I get told, yes, it will. How is that legal? On the 25th, I get told nope, 3 more months? Who makes these decisions? I want to talk to them. And I also don't understand how it's every night at 5pm, until 12am, I get constant packet loss.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/9b0ee4c501d66ea627d33b4fd1be0f71-26-11-2016.html

If that was because peek times, then it wouldn't be consistent, it would fluctuate. But it doesn't, it's the same thing every day. If someone can just change the time that it happens to morning instead of evening, problem solved. But I doubt that can get done... So frustrating. 

0 Kudos
mrpops2ko
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I've hopped around providers and I can tell you a bit about what you'll get from BT. 

You will in general get much more stable ping (cable is much more likely to have ping jitters than VDSL). 

You will get put into a household lottery for speeds. I was fortunate and I could get 80/20 from BT. You might not if your on one of the long lines. What you will get though is consistent speed. Whatever speed you get will not drop in peak times for the most part, the only ones who do are generally quite rural areas on very long lines. Even then though, those people don't really get massive ping but just incredibly poor bandwidth capacity. If all you do is scrim etc then even 2mbps would be fine, games are about latency not bandwidth speed.

kato900
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Exactly, that's what I needed to know, thanks! Speed is honestly irrelevant to me, I just need a stable connection. Another thing that is worrying me is, I have a theory the Fiber lines to my house/area are used by all ISP's that run Fiber, and the reason I get packet loss is too much congestion in my area... I'm probably wrong, it's just worrying me I'll go pay more for BT for half the speeds and then they route my internet through the same cabinet and I'll still get screwed by packet loss, and then I'm stuck in a 12 month contract with worse internet by the time it's fixed. I guess I just gotta do some research

0 Kudos