Menu
Rialou
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

2Ghz built for distance?

So I get that 5g is speed and 2g is distance and being I'm furthest from my router and the ps4 only connects to 2g I thought that would be fine but I can't get signal for 2g at all up here yet my 5g registers at a DL speed or 90mbps. it's like my 2g dosent even exist even the phones and pads struggle but 5g no problem. I've logged into the router gone through all the channels even gone through the different wireless modes. This has been getting worse since it started raining. Any advice other than paying out for a repeater which I can't afford since my bill got walked up to 59 odd a month for a 200 DL speed I can't ever get :/
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 2Ghz built for distance?

Kippies wrote:

Ummm..

Also PS4 doesnt support 5GHZ  Smiley Frustrated

The OP does acknowledge that in their post.  The PS4 Pro supports 5Ghz so Sony are trying to play catch up Smiley Happy

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

J0hn wrote:
If you can a cat 6 or cat 7 cable would be a far fast connection as wired always is (with the correct cable of course, cat 5 and cat 5a are bandwidth restricted for fast broadband).

Eh?

Cat 5e can manage gigabit with ease, and considering the fasest VM offer is only 300mbit anyway, that being said you're not even going to need that much bandwidth just for a console anyway, games use next to no bandwidth Smiley Tongue

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

2.4Ghz is the most widely used band and therefore the most congested band that in addition to WiFi is used by cordless phones, baby monitors, car alarms and microwaves.

So although it potentially has more range this can be reduced by interference from other 2.4Ghz sources nearby.

There is good post on improving wireless here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal...

Unfortunately if your environment is particularly congested then buying additional kit may be the only solution. I would not recommend a standard repeater or wireless booster as they will be just a susceptible to interference. A better option is often powerline adapters.  These use the electrical wiring in your house to create a wired network without the need for long cables.  They are rarely as fast as the manufacturer's claim but are a lot more stable and less prone to interference than wireless.  They could give you a wired solution for your PS4 which would reduce in game lag which would be worse on WiFi even if you could get a signal.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

J0hn
Super solver
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you can a cat 6 or cat 7 cable would be a far fast connection as wired always is (with the correct cable of course, cat 5 and cat 5a are bandwidth restricted for fast broadband).
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ummm..

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Kippies wrote:

Ummm..

The OP does acknowledge that in their post.  The PS4 Pro supports 5Ghz so Sony are trying to play catch up Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

J0hn wrote:

Eh?

Cat 5e can manage gigabit with ease, and considering the fasest VM offer is only 300mbit anyway, that being said you're not even going to need that much bandwidth just for a console anyway, games use next to no bandwidth Smiley Tongue

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

shanematthews wrote:

J0hn wrote:

Eh?

Yes. However its prudent to use CAT6 for LAN as there's less chance of crosstalk which can affect speeds.

Rialou
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

lol i know ps4 dosent use 5g god i wish it did that would be amazing i was typing very fast trying to out run my crappy auto correct i did the speed tests on my laptop phone and pad for the 5g vs 2g Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
Rialou
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

see i had no idea about different cat's on lan cables thank you Smiley Happy mine just broke and I need to replace it hence why im on the wireless connection atm
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Rialou wrote:
lol i know ps4 dosent use 5g god i wish it did that would be amazing i was typing very fast trying to out run my crappy auto correct i did the speed tests on my laptop phone and pad for the 5g vs 2g Smiley Wink

I have just found out today that the new slim PS4 does support 5Ghz.  I saw lots of articles saying the only changes were cosmetic, then somebody posted on here about connecting their PS4 to 5Ghz and I found this review:

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/09/ps4-slim-review/

The bit about 5Ghz is at the end.