Menu
Ryan_Wilkinson
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

2 PS4's in 1 Household - Mine has major issue connecting to WiFi - PLEASE HELP!

Hi all.

So my dad and I both game, and we got a PS4 Pro recently, that we keep downstairs and my dad plays while I'm up in my room on the original PS4.

The thing is, once I hooked the original PS4 up in my room upstairs, the wireless WiFi connection is almost non-existent, as in the PS4 finds it difficult to connect (even when the other PS4 is turned off).. And also if I ever successfully get a WiFi connection, it'll drop off literally every 2-3 minutes, which makes my PS4 unplayable online - and really annoying when the notifications are always popping up.

I'm gutted as I'm getting PS4 games etc for Christmas, and I can't play online with my friends if this issue persists Smiley Sad

p.s. I don't want to resort to having an Ethernet cable, trailed half way across the landing, from the router (SuperHub) to the PS4, as it's ugly and people may trip over the cable. I simply want my wireless connection to work on my PS4.

Furthermore, download speed on the PS4 is always weak in my household. On the other hand, my Xbox One downloads like a beast - no WiFi connection issues at all!!

Please help. Your response is greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2 PS4's in 1 Household - Mine has major issue connecting to WiFi - PLEASE HELP!

The wireless on the original PS4 can only use the 2.4GHz band which is the most commonly used wireless band so is often very congested by other wireless devices.  The PS4 Pro and the Xbox One (I think) can use the faster and usually less congested 5Ghz wireless band.

Some good advice on getting better wireless HEREHERE

One option might be powerline adapters.  These use the electrical wiring in your house to create a wired network without the need for long cables.  They are rarely as fast as the manufacturer's claim but are a lot more stable and less prone to interference than wireless, perfect for consoles.   Some powerline adapter reviews here:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/20-best-powerline-adapters-2016-uk-3490638/

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Ryan_Wilkinson
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

PS4 struggling to connect to WiFi - Can someone test my SuperHub, please?

Hi all.

I'm still having major issues, connecting to the WiFi on my PS4.

There are 2 PS4's in the household.. The other one has no problems at all.

I would appreciate it, if someone who works for Virgin Media can assess my wireless and run some tests on my SuperHub etc.

p.s. The PS4 I am using, is the original one and is using the 2.4GHz wireless, while most of the other devices at home use 5GHz.. So I don't know what's interfering with my signal Smiley Sad

Kind regards,

Ryan

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 struggling to connect to WiFi - Can someone test my SuperHub, please?

Ryan,

please don't post multiple threads for the same issue. It doesn't get you a response any quicker, in fact quite the opposite.  I have merged your threads.

The only way to asses your wireless environment is to be in your house, so staff won't be able to help with that.  All they can do is check if the hub has the 2.4Ghz band switched on, but not how well it is being distributed in your home.  Have you looked at the links I posted in your thread last week?

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Ryan_Wilkinson
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scott. Thanks for your help. Yes, I have read the links and information which you supplied me with. Before I dish out funds for something like a Powerline Adapter, I just would've preferred to have a Virgin Media employee check my SuperHub (I'm sure in other posts I've seen employees run checks on behalf of the person with the problem).

The PS4 worked fine when it was downstairs, but since we got a new PS4 Pro and placed that downstairs, and moved the original PS4 into my room upstairs, that's when the problems began. I am literally just across the landing from where the router is, so it's weird how the signal is so bad.

No matter what time of the day it is, these issues still always occur (so even in peak times it's just the same).

Kind regards,

Ryan

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ryan_Wilkinson wrote:

Hi Scott. Thanks for your help. Yes, I have read the links and information which you supplied me with. Before I dish out funds for something like a Powerline Adapter, I just would've preferred to have a Virgin Media employee check my SuperHub (I'm sure in other posts I've seen employees run checks on behalf of the person with the problem).

The staff can run checks on the line, look for local issues with the segment of the network you connect to and check the hub's log for errors, but if other devices are working OK on the 5Ghz band then it doesn't sound like a line or hub fault as that would impact all devices on both bands and wired devices.

Is there a cordless phone base station, baby monitor, fairy lights, fish tank or mirror between the PS4 and the router? These often cause interference on the 2.4Ghz band.  Have you tried all of the 2.4Ghz band channels?

0 Kudos
TheRazzaG
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2 PS4's in 1 Household - Mine has major issue connecting to WiFi - PLEASE HELP!

Might be worth installing a program called inSSIDer (Google it) on a wireless laptop/PC Ryan. That'll let you see all the wireless signals in the surrounding area and suggest the best channel you could select for your 2.4ghz band in the superhubs settings page.

Though I must admit PS4s on the same superhubs never seem to play nicely, mine always has open NAT type but the moment my mate brings his round and connects wirelessly both our NAT types drop to strict aha.
Ryan_Wilkinson
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi. Thanks for the recommendation. With the help of insider, I've now set my 2.4GHz band at an unused channel. When testing my PS4's connection (via settings), it still finds it difficult to simply manage an upload speed quick enough to keep my WiFi connection stable.

I'll see how it goes for the rest of the day. If it doesn't improve, I'll look more into the Powerline Adapters.

Kind regards,

Ryan
0 Kudos
Ryan_Wilkinson
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi again. With help of another user on this post, I have set my 2.4GHz wireless on a free channel. Using inSSIDer, I see that my internet is the best in my local area, in addition to being the only person with 5GHz.

Channel 1 was used by most people, so I picked 3+7 as there were no existing connections to channels 3, nor 7.

In relation to router interference, my router is placed on top of the computer tower in the spare bedroom, facing out of the door which we keep open, there is nothing directly in front of the router. There are only mirrors on our wardrobes and a little one in the bathroom, which aren't really in the way.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Ryan
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

TheRazzaG wrote:
Though I must admit PS4s on the same superhubs never seem to play nicely, mine always has open NAT type but the moment my mate brings his round and connects wirelessly both our NAT types drop to strict aha.

Thats a good point that I had forgotten to cover because I was focussing on the wireless issue.  The VM hubs are often notoriously bad at coping with two of the same type of console being connected at the same time.  I suspect this is due to poor implementation of the UPnP protocols.  When you have two consoles that both use the same port numbers for traffic then it helps if UPnP works properly and directs the traffic to the correct device.

There are work arounds that work for some people, putting one console in the DMZ and setting up port forwarding for the other sometimes works.  Having one console wired and one wireless has worked for at least one person who posted on here.  The most common and successful solution is to buy a third party router that handles UPnP correctly and put the VM hub into modem mode.  A third party router might also improve the wireless performance on the 2.4Ghz band.

0 Kudos