I am currently a Sky+ HD customer and am looking to move to Virgin, however this will depend on the following.
Currently I have sky HD box and have my RF2 out from the sky box go into the loft into an Global F140 amplifier. From there I have dropped cables down into each bedroom and office and plugged in a magic eye in each room to allow me to change the channel.
This works for all rooms no problem, I can get my Sky+ on any TV.
I understand it is not that simply for Virgin. I have done some research and have the following questions:-
1. If I get the Samsung V+ HD box can I connect my TV using HDMI?
2. Can I connect the audio using digital optical cable to my amp and have the music coming through my surround sound?
Ok, not for the tougher questions:-
3. Can I go out of the VCR Scart into a RF Modulator and then connect this box to my RF coax leads that go into the loft and then down into all other rooms?
4. I understand that only the Samsung V+ HD box allows the VCR scart signal to be transmitted when connected to the TV using HDMI. Is this the case?
5. Does anyone have any recommendation on which modulator to purchase?
6. Does anyone have any recommendations on which Remote IR equipment I will need to allow me to change the channel remotely?
7. If this doesn't work, how can I get Virgin Media in my other rooms without paying or 4 additional boxes?
8. If I do the above will I get sound travelling around to my other TV's through the VCR Scart, then into the RF modulator and finally to the other TV's?
9. Will the menus and planner still work through the VCR scart connection?
10. Is there anything else I need to consider?
Please note, I only want HD picture quality in the living room where it will be connected using HDMI. I am happy for a degraded picture in the other rooms as long as its not too bad.
Thanks for the information. When you connect the SCART to RF modulator to the VCR socket on the Samsung V+ HD Box, will it just send the signal displayed on the box to the RF or does the V+ box have to be in playback? There are so many postings about this and many of them conflict. Also, any suggestions as to what channel it should be set to? I have a Maplin Model VH89 box with dip switches to change the output channel.
Any thoughts on this would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks for the information. When you connect the SCART to RF modulator to the VCR socket on the Samsung V+ HD Box, will it just send the signal displayed on the box to the RF or does the V+ box have to be in playback?
It will show up straight away
Also, any suggestions as to what channel it should be set to?
Not 100% sure. Suppose it would depend if you are in an area where the terrestrial analogue has been switched off or not
********************************** I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
For info: Have just purchased the Maplin VH89W Scart to RF adaptor and it works perfectly! I connected it to the VCR socket and then to my RF cable. It now plays on the bedroom TV and kitchen and there seems to be no sound buzz as some people have mentioned in other forums. It is £19.99 and is just what I needed.