Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice

Unlock Code

Coming to the end of my Virgin Mobile contract - been paying about £20 for nearly 2 years now.

VM were unable to offer me a suitable upgrade or contract to continue with so we agreed to end the contract.

Now I have just been on the phone to South Africa call centre and they are refusing to give me an unlock code to enable me to use the phone on a new contract unless I pay £15.

Surely after coming to the end of the contract, I have paid for my phone and should be entitled to a free unlocking code.

Not impressed with Virgin about this - thought they were a better company than that.

Super-Solver

Re: Unlock Code

£15.32 to be correct

Sadly virgin do not "give" free unlock codes regardless of you having completed the contract :smileysad:

The phone is yours to keep but you can't use it on a different network (T mobile excepted) unless it came sim free

Have you tried a non virgin/TMobile sim to see?

From Sunny Glasgow
if you want to say thanks click 'kudos' and if this has answered your question click 'helpful answer'

Yes it is definitely locked.

Its a bit of a liberty charging that for an unlock - especially when the contract is finished. Vodefone and Tesco both do it for free.

I wouldn't have minded staying with Virgin, but after speaking to 2 sales people, neither could come up with a decent contract to replace the one that is ending - don't want to pay so much each month anymore.

Super-Solver

if the phone is still fine, you could consider a 30 day rolling sim only deal

Then if the phone starts to fails give 30 days notice and you can go or take a new contract then

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/paymonthlySimOnly.do

From Sunny Glasgow
if you want to say thanks click 'kudos' and if this has answered your question click 'helpful answer'

I can get a better sim only deal through GiffGaff.

Tirckiejohn, judging by your replies, me thinks you must be Virgin Mobile staff :smileywink:

Super-Solver

[ Edited ]

lol No thanks :smileyhappy:

but i do have 4 Virgin Mobile numebrs at home and my adult kids have Media and mobile in their homes, and guess who sorts it all out :smileyhappy:

Of course GiffGaff have their better prices, but there is still the issue with a locked phone to deal with on this thread  :smileyhappy:

From Sunny Glasgow

I don't think I'm going to get it unlocked via this thread - just wanted a moan about Virgin Mobile charging for the priviledge.

Going up the high street later to see if they can do it.

Super-Solver

Thats a good idea, cost me a tenner for my samsung last year

From Sunny Glasgow
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor

Hi guygreenwood,

I think in your case it would be ok to go to a local high street shop as your 2 year warranty will soon be up. However, for people who are considering getting it unlocked this way, some high street shops will use a hack to flash the software to unlock it rather than going the way we do by putting a code into the phone to unlock - if hacked, it would then invalidate your warranty.

Sorry to sound a little negative, it's just for people that are still well within their 2 year warranty for the handset.

Many thanks.

Krystal Evans
Mobile Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Problem with your mobile?
Wizard

What handset is it Guy?

-----------------------------------------------------------
Mobile Phone Service Company Engineering Director - I don't work for Virgin!

Need help with your phone? Look at my homepage (link in my profile!)