Menu
bridgetroseberr
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@virgin.net email

We had been loyal Virgin customers for many years before our account was transferred to talktalk by Virgin in 2015. There were a few communications about what was to happen from both sides, but the situation with our @virgin.net email addresses was not clear and having been using it for many years we continued to do so, until July 2016 it suddenly stopped working. It has taken many calls to talktalk customer services and a complaint to Virgin to get to the bottom of what and why this has happened. The gist of it is from both parties is that we should have known that our email would cease, but it appears that no-one from either talktalk or Virgin actually informed us of the scheduled date. It has been a continuing nightmare sorting out updating long term work and social contacts and identities such as Apple IDs since this happened. 

Because of our long term use of our virgin.net email addresses we would dearly love to retain them or get the use of them back in the future, even with the loss of the history (which talktalk helpfully say Virgin have deleted from their servers). We would happily return to being Virgin customers if they could provide broadband to our area, and we would never have selected talktalk as a provider but we put up with the transfer of our account imposed on us because we thought our email address wouldn't change and seemed to carry on working.

Can Virgin help us to get our email addresses back please?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: @virgin.net email

Unfortunately it isn't possible to retain or recover virgin.net email addresses. You should've received an email &/or letter stating you had until 30th June to transfer any emails/contact people informing them of the closure before your account was closed permanently, however some ex virgin.net users have said they never received any notification.

Virginia/Doctor9fan. If I have helped please give me Kudos.
0 Kudos
bridgetroseberr
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. No we do not recall receiving a letter or an email about the date of email closure. Can you tell me the date this was sent out to customers please?

0 Kudos
bridgetroseberr
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have since had a reply from someone in talktalk's CEO office in response to our complaint to them about our loss of @virgin.net email, after Virgin had written to us indicating that talktalk were responsible. Talktalk have offered us just one months free service as compensation (about £20).

Here is what they say:

Dear Miss Roseberry,

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry that Virgin Media are giving you incorrect information. I can assure you that if we had rights to that email you would have been able to keep it indefinitely, as our customer have who migrated from AOL, Tesco and Tiscali. When these customer migrated to TalkTalk these companies also sold the rights to the customers emails. Unfortunately Virgin Media wouldn't sell us the rights to the emails which is why this whole thing has happened.

As confirmed by Virgin Media, the email address is no longer available.

The email I send earlier today still remains as my offer to you and you will still need to accept or decline within 10 working days.

Kind regards,

Jordan Nagy
CEO Case Manager
TalkTalk

Any comments?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The notification from Virgin Media, either via email or post would have been sent around the time of the announcement of the sale of the VM national service to Talk Talk (Nov 2014).  You can read the announcement posted on the forum here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Virgin-Media-National-Switch/m-p/2550863#M1071398 

In the announcement they said that the email addresses would be maintained for 12 months rather than the usual 3 months once an account is closed.  In fact this was extended in most cases until 30 June 2016. So around 19 months notice.

If I were you I would accept the extremely generous offer from Talk Talk asap. 

bridgetroseberr
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

We were not informed about the actual date - there is no clear date even on this notification you have linked to - and customers were not warned or reminded (a courtesy reminder would have been the very least either Virgin or Talktalk could have managed). I can see that we are not the only ones whose email addresses were subsequently disabled while they were actually in use.

A £20 compensation payment seems laughable under the circumstance and far from generous given potential losses caused. Not impressed with the way either company have dealt with this.

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

bridgetroseberr wrote:

We were not informed about the actual date - there is no clear date even on this notification you have linked to - and customers were not warned or reminded (a courtesy reminder would have been the very least either Virgin or Talktalk could have managed). I can see that we are not the only ones whose email addresses were subsequently disabled while they were actually in use.

A £20 compensation payment seems laughable under the circumstance and far from generous given potential losses caused. Not impressed with the way either company have dealt with this.

To be fair to TalkTalk, which is the last thing I ever want to do, they have offered you compensation for something totally outwith their remit or control.

During the transition Virgin Media maintained total control of the email accounts of their transferred customers. TalkTalk were provided with no access and had no administrative rights to the VM email system, AFAIK. That's probably down to the Data Protection Act.

News of the sell-off first appeared around November 2014, see here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Your-Now-TalkTalk-Customers/m-p/2548060/highlight/...  and another long thread about the move can be seen here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Re-Virgin-Media-National-Switch/m-p/2551129/highli...

A more recent thread can be found here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/My-virgin-net-email-is-not-working-help/m-p/3154945/highli...

I would suggest you accept the offer from TalkTalk and open an ISP independent email account.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
bridgetroseberr
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. The discussion threads you link to are encouraging because we had been led to believe we were the only ones complaining about the situation. Of course we are not. We were not given an actual date when our @virgin.net email would be deleted or warned that this was now imminent by either company. We have lost a considerable amount of data, including legal correspondence relating to 2 close family deaths, and a voluntary redundancy, both in the last 4 years, and although some of it was of course downloaded locally it is impossible to quantify what we are now no longer able to refer to. I'm disgusted how VM and Talktalk have behaved towards their customers.

I'm spending a huge amount of my valuable time dealing with updating both work and personal contacts, online accounts, reprinting business cards, letterheads etc. Plus if I now open an ISP independent email account, as you suggest, yes its a good idea, but I will have to do it all over again!

As Talktalk are only offering to compensate us a tiny amount for their abysmal customer care, and Virgin have offered us nothing at all, we have nothing to lose by taking this complaint further if we can. Just need to find out how to go about it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Information on the Virgin Media complaints process can be found here: http://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/our-codes-of-practice.html