Menu
BTCullen
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

virgin media mail settings continually out of date

I am continually being told my settings on windows 10 mail are out of date despite deleting account and re-adding again. Has anyone  else experienced this. I just can't get it to work and any help appreciated.

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: virgin media mail settings continually out of date

The thought strikes me - is your windows 10 installation an upgrade or on anew machine. If an upgrade this might provide an solution. The problem is certainly not with VM.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email-Cloud-and-webspace/Windows-10-Mail-App-fix-for-0x85050013-...

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Does this guide help? delete the account and start again making sure your settings agree exactly with what is in the Guide for your e-mail address:

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=171333&CURRENT...

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
BTCullen
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for taking the time to help but I can't  get the same options as in the guide. With my mail it sets it up automatically and doesn't  give me the options to manually set the settings.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

To get the thing to work with manual settings select "advanced set up" and chose "internet e-mail". Then you'll be able to add the set-up details manually. Otherwise w10 tries to do it automatically and it fails.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
BTCullen
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I just can't get windows 10 mail to work despite trying everything in the guide. I did have a back up with windows live mail but that is now stopping working with virgin. I now can't get any email at all and am at the end of my tether with virgin. Does anyone else have these problems? It is the same as happened last year with the migration.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The thought strikes me - is your windows 10 installation an upgrade or on anew machine. If an upgrade this might provide an solution. The problem is certainly not with VM.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email-Cloud-and-webspace/Windows-10-Mail-App-fix-for-0x85050013-...

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
BTCullen
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Once more many thanks for the reply. I am using windows 10 on an almost brand new machine it came with it installed. It just seems that I am continually battling to get email to work and my knowledge is limited. But thank you for trying.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Our issue is that we can't see your computer or what you are doing to make things not work. The set up for windows 10 mail is pretty standard, although, with their usual insouciance, Microsoft has changed the appearance of the mail app to "bring it up to date".

Your best bet is to get some local help. But I suspect that you are doing something obvious that is hindering the set up. Make sure that you use the VM SMTP settings for your outgoing mail (port 465 SSL and authentication both "on") and IMAP settings (Port 993 SSL on) for your incoming mail. That is all that there really is to a manual set up.

Good luck.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you Google "account settings are out of date" you will find that is a well-known Microsoft issue. Feel free to browse through the discussions and solutions, but if you just want to stop the prompt, do this - 

Click on the New Notifications list on the bottom right of your screen where you probably have a whole list of ” settings are out of date” prompts. Right click one of these and choose not to receive notifications from this app. Done, no more “settings are out of date”. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You earn something everyday! Let's hope this works for the OP and that his e-mail works afterwards!

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos