Menu
Highlighted
Gstyle
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

unable to sign in to rubbish virgin email

Been unable to sign in to email all night 19/03/17, tried chrome and edge, finally got to sign in after midnight and it appears i have had a couple of vouchers for money off things i wanted to buy but expired after midnight on the 19th.

so now i have lost over £20 of savings just because i couldnt see the emails.

this is a disgrace and when will virgin see their email client is crap, go back to google they now how to do it !!!!

always seem to have problems with virgin email.

can i get the money back that i would have saved?

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: unable to sign in to rubbish virgin email

1. I've never ever relied on Virgin's Webmail Client, even when the service was provided by Google.  Webmail can be convenient when you are using, say a computer in an internet cafe, but it can limit your options.
  2. Virgin Media aren't going back to Google, a major reason for them to migrate in the first place was because Google closed the Apps for ISP service.  It should be noted that even under the Google system the service was not perfect in many ways.
  3. Stop relying on ISP provided email anyway.  By relying on an ISP email you tie yourself to that ISP, if you like Google so much, get a Google email address and advise your contacts to use that from now on.

Virgin's T&C's suggest you'll be unable to get recover the £20 but you could always try using the Unfair Terms in contracts law to argue against this, there's no guarantee of success.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

All Replies
Mattjen1972
Tuning in
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

im finding the same, it has been rubbish for a while now when trying to log in via web, all i get is the refresh icon, i have tried all different types of browsers and even different connections.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

1. I've never ever relied on Virgin's Webmail Client, even when the service was provided by Google.  Webmail can be convenient when you are using, say a computer in an internet cafe, but it can limit your options.
  2. Virgin Media aren't going back to Google, a major reason for them to migrate in the first place was because Google closed the Apps for ISP service.  It should be noted that even under the Google system the service was not perfect in many ways.
  3. Stop relying on ISP provided email anyway.  By relying on an ISP email you tie yourself to that ISP, if you like Google so much, get a Google email address and advise your contacts to use that from now on.

Virgin's T&C's suggest you'll be unable to get recover the £20 but you could always try using the Unfair Terms in contracts law to argue against this, there's no guarantee of success.

Tim

Gstyle
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Dont think ill bother sounds like too much hassle but thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
Gstyle
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Oh and I do have a google email address, but i've had the virgin one for about 16 years and it would be a pain in the arse letting all the contacts know that i've changed it.
Lewlew
Dialled in
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Same here... I will have a real problem changing banking and stuff to gmail as they are overseas banks and pension funds.  I went from WindowsLiveMail to webmail because I had a crash last year and do not trust now... even backing up.

Plus... had trouble trouble not downloading 10K emails to WLM...eeek! Not the same as old Outlook Express where I could control that. 

ETA:   I loaded up FIrefox and only used it for Virgin email login, no other browsing activity, and it's working OK. It only seems to be a Chrome issue at the moment for me. Fingers crossed!

用心棒
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

At some point in time the “real problem” will have to be faced and that can be done now when you have some control over events or later when you have none.

Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Same issues here.  VM webmail yet broken again.  It's pathetic.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@ModTeam

Can you please ask the Forum Team to respond.  Yet again webmail is problematic to get into with several attempts being required.  The increased attempts will, of course, add to the server traffic and further exacerbate the problem.

Here are my thoughts.

Virgin Media SHOULD be doing all they can to fix the webmail service, indeed they are looking into it, but it doesn't help when two parts of the service are in two different countries, as you have to determine if the problem is.

• In the UK
  • In the Netherlands
  • On the route between the two.

Certainly in terms of support having a working Webmail service is MUCH better than having to provide support for the plethora of email clients out there.  Even though they all use the same standard, the process for setting up and adjusting the settings varies from client to client.

That said I personally believe email clients are the better option.  In my case I have clients set up on a number of devices and they all allow me access to my email, even when web-mail is being problematic.  Web-mail for me SHOULD offer convenience for example if I'm away from home, and my phone or iPad is out of charge, but I'd rather NOT limit myself to one means of email access.

I won't say that email clients don't have problems, certainly there have been problems with the POP3 and IMAP side of things in the past, and no doubt may be again, but currently they do offer a far more reliable means of getting at your mail.

Tim

Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Agree with your comments Tim.

I use Windows Live Mail for sending and receiving and most of the time it works fine.  I only need to access Webmail to check on the Spam folder and to occasionally clear out my Inbox since VM's implementation of Pop3 doesn't comply as it should in that regard.   I might not need Webmail often but it's so regularly borked now it's beyond a joke.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
0 Kudos