Menu
peers13
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

transferring all my email account to another service provider

I am moving from Virgin to Sky shortly. Always been happy with Virgin but as all my family and grandchildren use Sky, especially for TV, it will make life easier when they visit.

I need to copy/transfer all my email folders etc to my new Sky account. Not a great computer user so need fairly uncomplicated procedure. Any help much appreciated  

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: transferring all my email account to another service provider

You must mean web mail.

This is a three step process and you will have to Google for more details. I'll give you an outline.

Step 1 - export your VM web mail contact details to a suitable file (*.csv). Go into Webmail contacts, select the contacts folder and then select export from the drop down menu - 3 parallel lines by the side of the folder when you single click on it.

Step 2. Import your contacts in Sky's web mail product which I am told is Yahoo Mail. Google for how to do this but it usually as simple as opening the Yahoo web mail contacts folder selecting import and selecting the file you wish to import.

Step 3. Mail in mail folders. No seriously straightforward of doing this at all, between one web mail system and another. My view is that you will have a short window of opportunity between the date your VM account comes to an end (about 90 days when your VM e-mail address remains live) to simply forward all the mail you wish to keep to your new Sky e-mail address on the new account which should be live by then. You'll then be able to set up folders in Sky's product to organise the imports. Do this in stages

I'll tell you what I'd do and do now. I would give up any thoughts of using Sky e-mail If it is based on the Yahoo platform it is vulnerable to hacking. Yahoo is the most insecure of all the web mail systems on the market at present. They suffered a huge hack in 2014 which has only just been revealed.

I'd set up a new GMail or Outlook.com account (there are others but these two are the easiest to access)  and follow the steps above. That way you'll have a ISP independent address and you'll never have this problem again if you move ISPs. You'll be able to keep your GMail or Outlook.com account for ever. I've already done most of this. Not that I'm planning to leave VM. You can do this now so the move of ISPs will be easy-peasy because you'll already be set up.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Are you using VM web mail to manage your e-mail - ie you login each time to the VM pages or are you using an e-mail client like Outlook or Thunderbird to read or send mail? Clients are software installed on your computer.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
peers13
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I am using Virgin Media (@blueyonder) email system so I log in each time I want to access emails. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You must mean web mail.

This is a three step process and you will have to Google for more details. I'll give you an outline.

Step 1 - export your VM web mail contact details to a suitable file (*.csv). Go into Webmail contacts, select the contacts folder and then select export from the drop down menu - 3 parallel lines by the side of the folder when you single click on it.

Step 2. Import your contacts in Sky's web mail product which I am told is Yahoo Mail. Google for how to do this but it usually as simple as opening the Yahoo web mail contacts folder selecting import and selecting the file you wish to import.

Step 3. Mail in mail folders. No seriously straightforward of doing this at all, between one web mail system and another. My view is that you will have a short window of opportunity between the date your VM account comes to an end (about 90 days when your VM e-mail address remains live) to simply forward all the mail you wish to keep to your new Sky e-mail address on the new account which should be live by then. You'll then be able to set up folders in Sky's product to organise the imports. Do this in stages

I'll tell you what I'd do and do now. I would give up any thoughts of using Sky e-mail If it is based on the Yahoo platform it is vulnerable to hacking. Yahoo is the most insecure of all the web mail systems on the market at present. They suffered a huge hack in 2014 which has only just been revealed.

I'd set up a new GMail or Outlook.com account (there are others but these two are the easiest to access)  and follow the steps above. That way you'll have a ISP independent address and you'll never have this problem again if you move ISPs. You'll be able to keep your GMail or Outlook.com account for ever. I've already done most of this. Not that I'm planning to leave VM. You can do this now so the move of ISPs will be easy-peasy because you'll already be set up.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
peers13
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help and advice. I do have a Gmail account and what you suggest sounds like a better option.

Best regards

0 Kudos