Menu
TJ2011
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

takes ages to load email if at all

i am using Firefox but this also happens in chrome

it is taking ages to load my email account .it buffers and then shows a 404 error OR it buffers and says i have the wrong address or it buffers and hangs

when i do get it loaded

it sometimes will send an email sometimes hangs

i have cleared  and cleaned my pc  with cc cleaner on a regular basis ( i dont know if that has anything to do with it)

so what do you need me to do to fix this cos i am at my wits end ....

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: takes ages to load email if at all

If appropriate find an email provider better suited to your needs or use an email client, for instance, Thunderbird or similar product.

0 Kudos
oilewsew
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I have been having the same problem for months now; I have to reload the page several times before I can get to my emails.  I have tried different web browsers; the latest versions of Firefox, Internet Explorer and Chrome - it makes no difference whatsoever.  I have also tried removing my browsers and starting fresh with new downloaded versions but the problem remains.

FYI  my OS is Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit and I am supposed to have 100Mbps fibre broadband however this is a recent upgrade from 70Mbps. I use an ethernet cable from my PC to the modem (Superhub 2) so it isn't a WiFi issue.

I have a @blueyonder.co.uk email address; I don't know if it makes any difference but I would be very happy to see this problem resolved.  All the forums I've read regarding this issue have failed to solve the problem, despite what they say.

I have a very powerful desk top PC (to handle 3D drawing and photo editing software) which is just over a year old so I don't believe that the issue is with my hardware or the web browsers.

As Virgin keep trying to bill me for their errors since I downgraded my package of services to Broadband in May (charging me for early termination fees for the services I cancelled despite my contract having expired in 2016; and charging me a late payment fee twice now for 1) not off-setting the credit note against the advance billing for the month after I gave 30 days notice to change my package of services and 2) failing to take a direct debit payment for my new services despite my being in receipt of a DD confirmation 3 weeks in advance of the bill payment date), and to draw attention to the fact that I have been a long standing and loyal customer who has seen my monthly bill increase steadily and regularly since I took out my contract 12 years earlier, I believe the very least I can expect is to be able to access my emails pronto!!  

It seems to me that the problem lies with Virgin but if I am wrong, I, and plenty of others by the sound of it, will be grateful for a solution that works.

TJ2011
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

i can not thank you enough .....i have still got this problem... i have no idea WHY it happens, but i am mighty sick of it and like yourself i have been a long term customer of virginmedia from 2006. I am beginning to think I should look for another supplier. Its all well and good having superfast speed but only if it works.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

oilewsew wrote:

It seems to me that the problem lies with Virgin but if I am wrong, I, and plenty of others by the sound of it, will be grateful for a solution that works.

It is a Virgin Media Webmail issue and whilst various workaround may work (change browser, clear cache, etc) they do so only because you are returning to a stable state, it does not address the cause of the instability. AFAICS, there are two possible solution:

• Use an email client (like Thunderbird) if you cannot move away from Virgin Media Mail
  • Find an alternative email provider (preferred solution)
0 Kudos
TJ2011
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

why isnt there a 3rd solution

virginmedia fix it....  if thunderbird or other similar works why cant virgin mail 

it worked before all that weird stuff with gmail

i pay a lot of money for this  and already i have my web space taken ..what next.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

First thing you should both do - is monitor the speed and quality of your internet connection.

Run www.speedtest.net 2 or 3 times a day (from a wire-connected PC) to check what your ACTUAL speed is as opposed to the nominal.

The application only takes a minute or 2 to run and maintains a history of your results.

It also produces a small graph showing any ups and downs in the data flow during the test.

Come back with the results in a few days time.

0 Kudos
oilewsew
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I'd be grateful if you could tell me what is the difference between Thunderbird and Firefox.  They are both provided by Mozilla so I fail to understand why one should work over the other.  Furthermore, why is Thunderbird the best choice to rectify this problem? I am no IT expert but surely there is nothing much between different web browsers; if I am having the same issue using Firefox, Internet Explorer and Chrome, what does Thunderbird have/do that the others don't?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but is an email client is just a server that receives, distributes and sends emails? I am thinking that a email client works in the same way as Microsoft Office Outlook? I own a couple of domains which I have set up on Microsoft Office Outlook to send and receive emails and I pay an annual fee to a webhost for the priviledge.  Is that what you are suggesting?

As to your second point, the preferred solution of using another email provider: this is the easiest and most obvious solution however I am paying for mailbox as part of the service that Virgin provides when they set you up with Broadband, so I want it to work.  If not, my two solutions are:

Don't provide a mailbox and recompense me accordingly by reducing my monthly broadband costs OR

Fix the problem.  Plenty of loyal Virgin customers have brought this problem to the attention of our ISP; Virgin have made it clear that providing a mailbox is included as part of the service they provide so if it's not working satisfactorily, then fix it.

Otherwise I will keep badgering the BT service men, when they come to sort out some issue with their cables in the street outside where I live, to make it a priority to bring fibre optic into my area as Virgin are the only providers of fibre optic where I live (in Bristol by the way, not some remote hamlet surrounded by mountains).  Virgin could do with some healthy competition in order to realise the importance of good customer service as a reward for customer loyalty.

If I had could have got fibre optic from BT or Sky, I would have got rid of Virgin entirely.  I'm not saying this because I currently have a problem; over the years I have been with Virgin, the service they have provided has been inconsistent.  I accept that some of it is down to advances in technology and subsequent teething problems that may occur but all I want is a fast and reliable service at a reasonable price and for problems to be fixed as soon as they are made aware of them instead of trying to sell me a mobile phone contract.

Virgin: if you look at these forums, listen to what your customers say and want if you want to retain them for another 12 years.

0 Kudos
oilewsew
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

It was my intention to sack Virgin off altogether but I knew I would struggle with the reduction in speed from 100Mbps to 17Mbps on a good day.  Despite the online checkers telling me that I could get both BT Infinity and the equivalent from Skyith speeds quoted as being cabable of 76Mbps where I live, it was not the case.  BT and Sky are not providing fibre optic in my area of Bristol and they can't tell me when they will.

So it's Virgin if I want fibre optic or around 3Mbps according to the online speed checkers. Which is pathetic and leaves you with no choice but to stay with Virgin.

0 Kudos
oilewsew
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I agree. 

Virgin: don't make promises you can't keep.  If it ain't broke don't fix it but it has been made abundantly clear to you that it is broke and needs fixing.

How many customers do you need to tell you about a fault before you take action??

0 Kudos