Menu
CurlyKylie
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

smtp.blueyonder.co.uk authentication

Since yesterday I have been unable to send emails via smtp.blueyonder.co.uk. Nothing has changed on my configuration. I'm using an older email system, Turnpike, which does not support SSL SMTP and can't see any reason why it should have stopped working yesterday. Action: failed Status: 5.0.0 Remote-MTA: dns; smtp.blueyonder.co.uk Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 535 invalid PLAIN authentication string Any thoughts please?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: smtp.blueyonder.co.uk authentication

Can you connect with web mail? Please try.

I used to use TP a long time ago. You might be well advised to use a more modern client that does support secure authentication - Thunderbird. Still nostalgia is good.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
CurlyKylie
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi, no webmail is currently failing with "Sorry we're experiencing technical difficulties, Sorry for any inconvenience, but our website is temporarily out of action. Our engineers are now working to rectify the problem as quickly as possible. Please check back with us in a while".

I hadn't used webmail today so can't say when that started. I have been able to pick up POP3 email OK throughout the day, it is just sending which was failing. That, plus I haven't changed anything, would impy that there is not a problem with my username or password.

I know TP is old however it works very well and does some things a lot better than Thunderbird Thanks,

Edited to add I can still download email via an IMAP client.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@ModTeam - can you get the Forum Team to take a look at the account plse? The error message is "authentication credentials invalid".

@CurlyKylie - I should have asked - are you sending from a VM connection and do you have a VM broadband account to which this address is linked?

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
CurlyKylie
Joining in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Yes, sending from home which is on a VM cable connection. It's still failing this morning with the same SMTP 535 error, but I can access webmail now. Collection via IMAP & POP3 is still also OK.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - watch this space because I have asked for your account to be looked at. Does the 535 error message also include a VM numerical code like 3xx?

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
CurlyKylie
Joining in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I've attached the DSN below, note the sections I've SNIPped out. ****************************************** Your message could not be delivered to the following recipients [SNIP destination email address] Talking to smtp.blueyonder.co.uk on Tue, 13 Dec 2016 08:29:18 +0000 >>> AUTH PLAIN [SNIP long ASCII string]== <<< 535 invalid PLAIN authentication string ****************************************** ****************************************** Final-Recipient: rfc822; [SNIP destination email address] Action: failed Status: 5.0.0 Remote-MTA: dns; smtp.blueyonder.co.uk Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 535 invalid PLAIN authentication string Last-Attempt-Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 08:29:18 +0000 ******************************************
0 Kudos
CurlyKylie
Joining in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I've some more additional information. Using a different email system I can get better logs.  I've also tried connecting to smtp.blueyonder.co.uk:465 with SSL and authentication enabled and I get "The server does not support SSL or the port number is wrong".  There may be some other issue here but thought I'd mention it.

09:09:55 SMTP REPLY: 220 know-smtprelay-11-imp bizsmtp ESMTP server ready

09:09:55 SMTP SEND : EHLO [SNIP my PC name]

09:09:55 SMTP REPLY: 250-know-smtprelay-11-imp hello [SNIP my public IP], pleased to meet you

09:09:55 SMTP REPLY: 250-HELP

09:09:55 SMTP REPLY: 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN

09:09:55 SMTP REPLY: 250-SIZE 52000000

09:09:55 SMTP REPLY: 250-8BITMIME

09:09:55 SMTP REPLY: 250 OK

09:09:55 SMTP SEND : AUTH PLAIN [SNIP my credentials]

09:10:00 SMTP REPLY: 535 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300)

09:10:00 SMTP SEND : QUIT

09:10:00 DISCONNECT: Disconnected from server

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

No numerical code - different clients present error messages differently! Thanks for this.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
CurlyKylie
Joining in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Our posts crossed, this log shows "535 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300)".  Although it's a different location and different software it looks like the same issue so should be OK.

0 Kudos