Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
One to Watch
Mike4122
Helpful Answer

"YOUR SERVER DOES NOT SUPPORT AUTHENTICATION".

Hi all

I am currently accessing my 'ntlworld' mail via POP3 on Office 2010 and it works fine.

However, this is more than can be said for the PC which appears to be on its last legs.

With this in mind I have bought an Asus Transformer running Android 3 (Honeycomb).

I have set it up to access my Googlemail with no problems, but the NTL account will not work.

If I use the IMAP settings as shown on the forums (using ports 465 / 995 then I get the error as shown in the title?

Do I need to go back to basics and alter my POP3 to IMAP?

Am I correct in using smtp.virginmedia.com as opposed to ntlworld.com?

This is obviously an "Operator Malfunction" so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

Re: "YOUR SERVER DOES NOT SUPPORT AUTHENTICATION".

[ Edited ]

Try turning off authentication for the SMTP server as it's not enabled in all ntlworld.com areas yet.

Also are you trying to access the SMTP over Wireless or 3G - again smtp.ntlworld.com doesn't support off-net access yet

As temporary measure you can try using smtp.virginmedia.com with the authentication and correct ports which should work off-net

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Mike4122

"Try turning off authentication for the SMTP server as it's not enabled in all ntlworld.com areas yet.

Also are you trying to access the SMTP over Wireless or 3G - again smtp.ntlworld.com doesn't support off-net access yet

As temporary measure you can try using smtp.virginmedia.com with the authentication and correct ports which should work off-net"

Thanks for that ....IT WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!

The useage of the ' smtp.virginmedia.com ' sorted it.

Thanks very much

Mike

Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
Dave_O

[ Edited ]

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the update (and thanks to Ben for the advice!). Please let us know should you encounter any further problems.

David Owen
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.