Menu
zzaa
Tuning in
Message 1 of 43
Flag for a moderator

"Spam content found"

We're receiving many complaints from our customers that Virgin/ntlworld are bouncing the emails we send them. Please can someone contact me about removal from the blacklist.

zzaa
Tuning in
Message 2 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Re: "Spam content found"

We're already following the best practices (DKIM and SPF etc)

R11BFC
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Can i add my weight in here please. Apologies in advance for the length of the post!

I know the company concerned...as i'm one of the complainants!

I've been with this company for years and never had a problem until recently. Now though, i'm receiving a message on my profile from them saying their email(s) to me was/were undeliverable because Virgin think it's spam. IT'S NOT. What makes it more embarrassing is that i can get the company to amend at their end and then Virgin allow me to receive emails from them for say about 6 weeks/100 emails and then suddenly Virgin decides it's spam again! But obviously i cant keep going on like that.

I've spent 4 hours on the phone to Virgin today...given a variety of vague options/solutions, from adding their email address to my address book in both Windows Live Mail and Virgin, setting up some kind of safe email address filter or adjusting my spam setting - i was told that they were all hit and miss and may or may not work. I'm sorry, but that's pathetic.

The only one i was told would work is turning my Spam Filter off completely. Yikes!

Can someone at Virgin please look into this and contact the OP and by all means me as well. I've also been told that old email addresses like NTL (which mine is) are having the biggest problems. Virgin didnt seem able or capable to confirm or deny this, despite me mentioning this link:

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/news/2015/12/virgin_media_spam_filters_blocking_legitimate_emails_...

Apologies if my rant has been OTT and i do appreciate Virgin’s work/efforts on reducing spam emails, etc. But as i say, i've spent 4 hours on the phone with Virgin today and a further 4 hours dealing with it. Some of the service received from Virgin has been appalling, truly appalling.

As someone else has said on another thread, the only solution is to leave Virgin Media and i'm beginning to think they may well be right.

So come on Virgin, why are legitimate emails being blocked? In many ways, that’s my biggest worry, how many other legitimate emails are being blocked that i dont know about? At least i can be advised on my profile with this company. Anyway, will you please contact the OP asap and as said, by all means myself and at least let’s sort out the problem i know about. 

Thanks. And rant over!

Wrock
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 43
Flag for a moderator

It is a completely unacceptable situation, the volume of legitimate email which is being blocked as spam to Virgin Media accounts in the past few months.  Don't feel guilty about ranting, R11BFC.  Virgin Media has a poorly-tuned spam system as demonstrated by the large number of ongoing complaints from businesses, clubs, charities, schools, government organizations, and individuals who are finding that they cannot deliver legitimate email to Virgin Media addresses.

http://wardinewrock.blogspot.com/2016/05/legitimate-emails-blocked-to-virgin.html

Given the number and variety of complaints during the past months, you can be fairly certain that there are other emails you are not receiving.

As a recipient, you can quickly solve the issue yourself by opening a free email account elsewhere, for example, at Google.  As many businesses report, their messages to email addresses not managed by Virgin Media are not blocked.

-Wrock.

R11BFC
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Wrock - appreciated. Virgin Media yesterday were trying to claim it wasnt really a problem! Plus, they more or less said they'd rather i not receive legitimate email, if that meant i didnt get spam. Talk about OTT. 

Tbf i spoke to someone else today in the Virgin Tech Team and he was excellent and like you, said it shouldnt be happening. Although he didnt seem to be aware it was a major problem.

He suggested reporting on the following link, under 'other':

http://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/

To try and resolve my specific problem i'm aware of. 

Like we agree though, the next problem is what other emails am i not receiving? I do have a Gmail account (but never use it, it was just that i had to open for some reason last year, from memory Virgin told me i had to and was connected to using You Tube or something...my memory is fading!). But then if i do start using it, it's a pain in the ar$e changing over and informing everybody of the change...not sure i can face that!

Do you or anyone else know what Virgin are doing about it and as i'm new to the forum does anybody from Virgin come on to explain matters? Alternatively does anyone know how you formally complain to Virgin?

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
malsiluk
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 43
Flag for a moderator

I hate to be the one to bring bad news, but the actual Virgin Media paid employees who post on here are about as useful as a chocolate teapot! Lots of 'nicey-nicey' comments, but a complete lack of substance when it comes to anything a bit more meaty.

It's not as though the spam filter actually works at stopping spam getting to your inbox. It stops legitimate emails and allows blatant spam straight through!

If you have not already seen it, you might like to look at this thread. The OP is Ravenstar, who is one of the Superusers on here. That means he's not paid for doing this, he does it for the love (or something LOL) but he's a bit more likely to have the ear of the Virgin Forum Team (or so you would think) - but as you will see, they are currently ignoring him as well.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Spam-Content-Filters-a-Critique/td-p/3156171

You ask about making a formal complaint to Virgin. Well again, I hate to be the bad news guy, but that also falls on stony ground. I am one of many who have written to the CEO Tom Mockridge about the problems and his support staff pretend they have never heard of the problem (clearly lies!) and do nothing. I've written to a few CEOs in my time and I would say without question that Virgin's was the biggest waste of time, by a long way!

0 Kudos
zzaa
Tuning in
Message 7 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Is there any benefit to staying with Virgin for email? Perhaps Virgin Media users could forward their email to a more responsible email service, and migrate their contacts over time.

Does the redirection work?: http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=171048&CURRENT...

(Having a 3rd party email account also makes it easier to switch broadband providers)

0 Kudos
R11BFC
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 43
Flag for a moderator

malsiluk wrote:

I hate to be the one to bring bad news, but the actual Virgin Media paid employees who post on here are about as useful as a chocolate teapot! Lots of 'nicey-nicey' comments, but a complete lack of substance when it comes to anything a bit more meaty.

It's not as though the spam filter actually works at stopping spam getting to your inbox. It stops legitimate emails and allows blatant spam straight through!

If you have not already seen it, you might like to look at this thread. The OP is Ravenstar, who is one of the Superusers on here. That means he's not paid for doing this, he does it for the love (or something LOL) but he's a bit more likely to have the ear of the Virgin Forum Team (or so you would think) - but as you will see, they are currently ignoring him as well.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Spam-Content-Filters-a-Critique/td-p/3156171

You ask about making a formal complaint to Virgin. Well again, I hate to be the bad news guy, but that also falls on stony ground. I am one of many who have written to the CEO Tom Mockridge about the problems and his support staff pretend they have never heard of the problem (clearly lies!) and do nothing. I've written to a few CEOs in my time and I would say without question that Virgin's was the biggest waste of time, by a long way!

I'm not having this! Formal complaint made to Virgin Media below for your info:

Hi Stewart, first of all, can i say you’ve restored some of my faith in Virgin Media – you were excellent and a credit to your company. It’s a shame though, the same cant be said for some of your colleagues. As you kindly agreed, please forward on this formal complaint to the appropriate person/department but to repeat, not to have an official email option to complain on Virgin Media’s complaint procedures is a clear stalling tactic – write a letter...good grief, who does that nowadays?! So thank you to agreeing that i could send an email to you.

To whom it may concern:

I’m not going to spend long on this email, as i have already spent over 10 hours on this issue since Tuesday this week. So i will be seeking compensation for that for starters.

Briefly though, i have become aware that legitimate emails (including those sent to me) are being blocked by Virgin’s spam filter and apparently, the problem is even worse for old email addresses like NTL (which is mine). See the thread/complaint started from a specific company, on your Virgin Media Community Forum below, which i’ve contributed to:

My user name is R11BFC. I would like answers to my questions on that thread please.

In addition, i would like answers to the links included on the thread, as follows:

Further, if you look elsewhere on the Forum or Google search in general, there are negative comments/feedback all over the place that your Spam Filter system is not working properly. To be frank, it’s embarrassing – one comment/suggestion to resolve, was to leave Virgin Media! I simply can not live my life with Virgin Media preventing legitimate emails being sent to me. I find that an affront. It would be like my postman looking at my post and throwing a couple of letters and some marketing leaflets in the bin because he thought they looked a bit dodgy or that i wouldnt want them.

I also take great exception to one of your colleagues in effect saying, if Virgin’s spam filter means taking out legitimate stuff to avoid me getting any spam (the irony that i still get spam anyway shouldnt be lost on your company) then basically that’s just the way it is. Another one saying – just take the Spam Filter off, despite another colleague saying that if i did that it would be potential ‘carnage’. Awful, simply awful customer service.

So as i say, i’d like your comments on my posts/the links on the thread and comments on the overall unacceptable situation and what i would say serious complaints/allegations on the various threads; and from my own personal experience it’s clear that the majority of Virgin staff are either unaware of the problem or not really bothered about it. The irony of a global media company not delivering communication should not be lost on you. To be crystal clear, i want an undertaking that your company is going to resolve this present shambles asap.

Thanks and i look forward to your reply with great interest.

Andy
R11BFC
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 43
Flag for a moderator

zzaa wrote:

We're receiving many complaints from our customers that Virgin/ntlworld are bouncing the emails we send them. Please can someone contact me about removal from the blacklist.

Just out of interest...has anyone from Virgin contacted you?

0 Kudos
zzaa
Tuning in
Message 10 of 43
Flag for a moderator

> Just out of interest...has anyone from Virgin contacted you?

No.
0 Kudos